PDA

View Full Version : A Question for Expats allready with FAA Licences

Sheep Guts
11th Jan 2003, 15:32
A Question for Expats with FAA Licences

Has anybody been to the States to get there first Type Rating above 12,500 lbs since Sept11, if so please give me some details ie. problems, visia required etc etc.?

I am just curious to find out the hassles, if any, as I have been reading on these forums . Some people have said you need to apply to the US Dept of Justice, for a check. How do you do this?

And how LONG actually did it take to get the required visas FROM start to stop? Any input appreciated.

Regards
Sheep

Please PM me if you like.

mutt
11th Jan 2003, 20:28
A friend of mine who was born in the USA, educated in the USA, lived in the USA is presently allowed to visit the USA and is also allowed to operate a 300k airliner into USA airports........ but he is not allowed to get another type rating in a US based simulator.

So i guess that a lot depends on your nationality and religion!

Mutt.

Sheep Guts
11th Jan 2003, 21:37
Im an Agnostic Aussie, maybe the same for me, Mutt. :D :D

Thanks for the info, do you know anyone else?

Regards
Sheep

Eddington the Rodger
12th Jan 2003, 17:59
an aussie mate of mine went 4 months ago.
He went with
1. Letter from the flight school to say he was there to do training.
2. Letter from employer to say he was going to do training.
On arrival at immigration counter he was questioned and all his
documentation went into a RED Folder.
He was put into a holding room for 1 hour with various drug dealer types and shifty looking types.........
after this time period he was probed............with questions.
And then let lose in the USA.
This has happened 2 times in a row to him.
apparently during the 1 hour check all docs are put through a mega database and a risk analysis ascertained.
I am personallt trying to find out if one needs a study visa for the stated period as I go there soon to do the same thing.
USA goverment info sites say a study visa is required but I know of afew people who have never bothered.....and its never been an issue...above all just tell them the truth....

Sheep Guts
14th Jan 2003, 21:42
Thanks for the reply Eddington

I now have a different question does anyone know if you can get a US FAA Type Rating outside the US?

Any info much appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Regards
Sheep

Sheep Guts
15th Jan 2003, 21:53
To the top again.

Anyone know where I can get a 727 0r 737Type Rating other than USA?

Hold OZ ATPL, NZATPL and USATP( but forget that the last one:rolleyes: )

Any info much appreciated.

Thanks

Sheep

fesmokie
15th Jan 2003, 22:33
Try this site for some more info on the subject.

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/regulatory/foreign_student.html

I hope it helps a little.:cool:

Sheep Guts
17th Jan 2003, 17:27
Thank you Fesmokie,

Very informative, thank you indeed. Looks like its a very long convaluted process, no thanks to the perpatraitors of 9/11.

REGARDS
SHEEP

fesmokie
17th Jan 2003, 17:56
You got that right. As a Canadian(green carder) I have been flying in the US for 20 years and have gone through 2 furloughs since 2000. I,m going through hell trying to get back on with one of my former employers because of the Justice Dept ruling. I seriously doubt if I will be hired in the near future as a result.:(