PDA

View Full Version : Accident in BRU 10/1/03

acmi48
10th Jan 2003, 11:20
brussels airport
notam issued that rwy 07l/25r and 02/20 closed only 07r/25l avail for all traffic.. listening on vhf someone mentioned an incident..any have any news on this-notam valid 1150-1800z
estimated

Accident -brussels airport web site
A Cessna light aircraft of the Belgian Federal Police was involved in an accident during its landing procedure at 12.30 hrs at the airport of Zaventem. Both crew members have died. Runway 25R is currently closed for traffic. Both other runways are operational for airline traffic. No other information is available at present.

condolances to the crew members families and loved ones

calmdown
10th Jan 2003, 12:09
Have heard a rumour of an accident on RWY02 at BRU.
Anybody any info on this?

You splitter
10th Jan 2003, 12:18
Have seen flow restriction through BRU advising RWY shut for approx 30 minutes for 'investigation'. No other details though.

Hopefully an incident rather than accident!

usernothername
10th Jan 2003, 12:40
It is an accident. From the Brussels Airport Web site:

A Cessna light aircraft of the Belgian Federal Police was involved in an accident during its landing procedure at 12.30 hrs at the airport of Zaventem. Both crew members have died. Runways07L/25R and 02/20 are currently closed for traffic. Runway 07R/25L remains operational for airline traffic. No other information is available at present.

RIP

lomapaseo
10th Jan 2003, 12:41
Looks to me like the answer was already posted on this forum below.

No need for duplicate posts..

Konkordski
10th Jan 2003, 12:46
I hear that a Brussels airport authority car collided with a police car en route to the accident site - hope that hasn't made a bad day worse.

LGW Vulture
10th Jan 2003, 13:25
Please someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't this the second accident to happen to the Belgian Police force in recent times?....

9gmax
10th Jan 2003, 17:02
Previous accident with a Cessna from Police Force happened some time ago, acft got blown over by propwash from C130 Hercules taxying...no injuries
-
thoughts go out to families of police officers...

Belgian Chap
13th Jan 2003, 21:53
According to Belgian press, the federal police cessna 182 was cleared for a visual approach.
Upon short finals it got caught in wake turbulence of heavy traffic that had just landed on same RWY25R, toppled over and crashed and immediately caught fire.
The federal police pilot and the police officer who acted as observer had no chances in surviving.

My deepest sympathy and condolences to all whom they leave behind...