PDA

View Full Version : How did you get your first airline job

Half_Cuban
8th Jan 2003, 01:15
Like many people I have all the correct bits of paper and and am finding it very difficult to get my first airline job.

How did you get yours?

The Big Bad Daddy
8th Jan 2003, 10:02
For that crucial first job it's a big help if you know someone who works for the company who can recommend you, that's how I got my first job.

NG_Kaptain
10th Jan 2003, 20:11
By getting an entry level job as a line boy with a fixed base operator in Florida. This was at minimum wage but like the guy behind the elephant, at least I was in show biz. Being there I was able to get some free flying to increase my hours and to be on the scene when a job opened up with a non-sked cargo company which led to a commuter job onto an airline job where I am now flying as Captain on an Airbus 340.
Keep the faith and be patient as now is not the best time to be looking for an airline job, at least on this side of the pond.:)

Georgeablelovehowindia
10th Jan 2003, 22:06
My good friend, who had shared the vagaries of air-taxi flying with me, happened by this airline just as the Chief Pilot wrenched open his office door and yelled "Pilo-o-tttt!!!" Shortly after, the same thing happened again and I got an urgent telephone call from my friend. I broke all the speed limits to get there and got the job, after the most perfunctory interview I've ever had. Just goes to show...

skyrabbit
20th Jan 2003, 00:48
knew someone at right time. Get to know as many folks as possible in the industry, and persevere!

GlueBall
25th Jan 2003, 12:40
Hang around at airports and airport snack bars and talk to those pilots who fly the equipment for which you meet experience requirements. You'll always get first hand job info from employed pilots.
Just because many pilots are out of a job doesn't mean that they all would be standing in line to fly midnight freight in a Cessna somewhere in the dead of winter. :p

Ennie
28th Jan 2003, 08:06
I went on work experience with my employer when still at school...kept in touch!!