PDA

View Full Version : Solo at last!

bobdee
7th Jan 2003, 17:05
Hi Folks,
Just to say it happened today. I soloed after 35 hours!. I am at a loss to describe the elation felt. Nothing that I can recall tops it. I guess the birth of my kids is in there somewhere but that was someone else’s hard work, this was my very own personal achievement.
I started the “flying at 50+ thread “ a few weeks back and all the positive comments and good wishes were all gratefully received and in some measure helped towards today’s momentous event, so thanks to you all. I have to admit that 50+ in my case means 62 this year, and yes it took longer than I would have liked, but when it actually came to being on my own in the air, all the instruction kicked in and it all seemed so natural. Today was the first time I had flown since the 18th of December due to the East Kent weather, and I was getting to the point where I was wondering if the first part of the lesson would be spent in revising, But no, it all seemed still to be there and in fact I seemed more relaxed than before, so maybe extended intervals work for the best on occasions. The weather today was almost perfect, but the temperature was just below freezing, the sun shining but best of all, the wind at 10 knts straight down the runway.
I had to orbit for about eight minutes on base leg to give priority to another incoming flitty thing, but that went OK and the landing although not the best in the world seemed OK. Any way I feel like stopping every one in the street and saying, “do you realise, I soloed today” but they probably wouldn’t come near to sharing my high.
This sounds like an awards ceremony speech, but I have to give credit to my two instructors (no not at the same time) , Bob and Kevin at TG Aviation, for doing their stuff so well. and to all those folk out there who are just starting PPL’s, I can only say that if you want to feel on top of the world and just about the luckiest guy around, stick at it you just wont believe how wonderful life can be.
Cheers to all
BobDee

tomahawk1673
7th Jan 2003, 17:15
Congratulations, u're a pilot now :)

Enjoy the rest of your training!

All the best in the future.

iainpoll
7th Jan 2003, 17:35
Congrats mate, thats fab news!
:cool: :cool:

Mr Wolfie
7th Jan 2003, 18:02
Congratulations Bob.

My first solo was only couple of months ago and still brings a smile and a sense of achievement when I think about it. (I had to text message my "pilot mates" with the news as "ordinary mates" and family, whilst being impressed, could not really start to understand how I felt).

I did my first solo cross-country and "landaway" last weekend and that also was a great experience - so you have got a lot more "highs" to go yet.

Well done.

Mr. W :)

charlie-india-mike
7th Jan 2003, 19:20
Congratulations.

Enjoy the moment.

Loads of good things to come yet.

C-I-M:) :)

Holdposition
7th Jan 2003, 19:21
Many many congratulations Bob, very well done indeed, the rest will fly by (pardon the pun) now.

Please keep us posted over the coming months how things progress.

Us oldies have to stick together you know :)

Jolly Tall
7th Jan 2003, 20:11
Congrats BobD. I still vividly remember mine nearly 3yrs ago to the day - it's a great feeling, especially for those of us who started later than we would have liked. I think it ranks amongst the greatest acheivements in ones life.

High Wing Drifter
7th Jan 2003, 20:24
Excellent stuff Bob! Nothing compares does it? I am still grinning now and I went solo over a month ago :D

Isn't is amazing how panic, when the instructor announces it is time, transforms it self into rigourous and attentive compentence once that door is slammed shut and you are on your own :)

PeterJfrancis
7th Jan 2003, 20:51
Congrats BobDee !

The first solo seems a long way off for me, I'm still trying to find a decent bit of weather to do my first lesson !

Well done once again !

PPPPP
8th Jan 2003, 07:20
Excellent news, Bob! Another recruit for the Grey Flyers (founded 2002):)
The first solo is only topped by the first cross-country, you have many highs still to look forward to.

What a Loop
8th Jan 2003, 07:40
Well done Bob:) :)

Now the fun starts, enjoy the rests as much as you have enjoyed it up to now.

Look forward to seeing your first cross country solo post.

All the best

WAL:D

rocafellascunk
8th Jan 2003, 07:58
Great achievement Bobdee! Congratulations are in order.
keep it up
R

eveepee
8th Jan 2003, 09:55
Congratulations from one late starter to another.

It was great to read your post and brought back all the emotions I felt on October 24th. Doesn't it feel great ! - (slightly less painful than childbirth), but the feeling of achievement just as strong.

However, I'm still waiting for my second solo as the weather and runway at Rochester since then has other ideas :(

ratsarrse
8th Jan 2003, 11:50
Yes, congratulations!
Hoping to join the club myself in the coming months. Sales of air raid shelters likely to increase dramatically in the Nottingham area...

Well done.

gingernut
8th Jan 2003, 15:56
Well done Bob.

Dunnit shift with no instructor !