PDA

View Full Version : Please Read : Need Help

futurepilot21
7th Jan 2003, 14:22
Hey guys!
This is my first post , so bear with me. Iam 16 and a half, I have been hell bent on a career in aviation ever since I was 4 and saw my first air show. But recently I have had a change in career plans, originally I wanted to join the RAF to eventually become a pilot, but due to personal reasons I have changed my mind. I now wish to seek a career in the commercial side of the aviation industry. I am a member of my local ATC squadron, and I am currently doing a Gliding Scholorship :D from RAF Odiham. This really has opened my eyes and made me realise how much I really really do want to fly! But it is not a career in the Airlines that I seek;) oh no, I would like to fly smaller aircraft, preferably in the small aircraft operators. The job that I am doing I am not bothered about as long as I am flying an aeroplane. So please could you give me some suggestions of any, and I mean ANY companies that do this and the different jobs available. Of course sponsorship is something else I am greatly interested in. I am trying to get my PPL this summer through financial help from my parents and flying scholorships. Any help would be great guys - PLEASE! :)
Anyway, see you all later

David Colgate
Aviation enthusiast

If anyone wants to talk as in properly please e-mail me directly:)

chiglet
7th Jan 2003, 16:32
David,
GOOD LUCK on your chosen career
I am [unfortunately] not a pilot, but am ATCr.
First, have a chat with your local Air Taxi /Flying School Operators, then try further afield.;)
Hope I'm not stating the obvious:rolleyes:
Again Good Luck
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

Lou Scannon
8th Jan 2003, 09:56
David,

Interesting that you are an ATC cadet. It is truly amazing how high is the percentage of civil pilots that started in the cadets.

Can I be rude and ask what on earth is the personal problem that has put you off applying for training in the RAF? You have to be prepared to crawl over broken glass to get into aviation so. to me. a personal problem that immediately rules out this approach seems rather strange. Just bear in mind that in my day, the selection for a Flying Scholarship was basically the same as for aircrew selection- and I doubt that it has changed.

The other advice that I would give is don't get locked on to a lifetime of flying small aircraft. The qualifications required for an A340 are not that different to those for a small Cessna...and the A340 captain can fly the Cessna in his own time, which cannot usually be said for the Cesna pilot.

Send Clowns
9th Jan 2003, 20:14
You may find that the only way to fly smaller aircraft is to become an instructor for a while or, paradoxically, to find a job flying large (i.e. twin-turbo-prop sized) aircraft first. For a few years this will not be a consideration, but it is worth now setting it in your mind, as you may have to show enthusiasm for airline flying to get the breaks. The reason that you cannot go straight onto most air taxi/small aircraft operators is that they may be single pilot. This is considerably more difficult than multi-crew operation, so often the company's insurance policy requires more hours than BA's, whos first officers may start training on A320s with only 170 hours!

For now carry on the cadets, fly Navy or Army rather than being a pansy in the Air Force ;) if you change your mind about military flying (or at least consider the other services).

The civilian route will require money. Lots. Recent development means that you need up-front investment if you can't get sponsorship, and no bank is likely to fund the whole deal. If you don't have the money, when you are 18 and so elligible for the schemes start looking in magazines, and contact the big schools which take sponsored cadets.

Best of luck!