PDA

View Full Version : cruising with LLs????

Touch'n'oops
7th Jan 2003, 10:07
On a few night flights, I have noticed the Landing Lights on!!:confused: The lights are then switched off a few minutes later!

Why do this during cruise???

Intruder
7th Jan 2003, 16:59
Sometimes when controllers call out close-crossing traffic, the Captains will turn on the landing lights to help the other gain visual contact. When they see each other, they turn the lights off.

Lump Jockey
10th Jan 2003, 20:05
What is the so-called "limit"? 10,000ft turn off/on?

Intruder
10th Jan 2003, 23:57
For normal ops, yes. The after-takeoff checklist that is done at 10,000 feet is a usual place for them, as well as the descent or approach checklist.

The momentary lighting of the LLs can take place at any altitude.

Also, over India, many pilots cruise with them on all the time! ATC there is a joke!

Lump Jockey
12th Jan 2003, 08:09
Why isn't it mandatory to have LL on all the time? Surely it makes sense to see and be seen? There's some countries where cars have to have their lights on all the time even during the day, Sweden I think?!

Tinstaafl
12th Jan 2003, 12:14
Just point. I understand your analogy with countries that mandate vehicle lights on all the time. However, before using such things I think it's important to first verify whether or not a measurable change ie in the accident rate, has occoured as a result.

I don't know of any data to support this but wouldn't mind knowing if there is.

IF accident rates are not different from places that don't mandate the use of lights then it's an irrelevent rule.

Touch'n'oops
12th Jan 2003, 13:14
Well don't drive with your lights on during the day in Thailand.

Well, unless you think you are the bob or Royalty.:D