PDA

View Full Version : Polarised or Not?

topgundom
6th Jan 2003, 22:16
Just a little optics question for any of you boys flying jets with filamented front windscreens.
I need a new pair of sunglasses and the bloke in the shop said that polarised lenses can cause problems when looking through filamented front windscreens. Can anyone set me straight on this one as I want to reduce glare as much as possible but would prefer not to go epileptic whilst flying a Cat III into someone's back garden.

DrSyn
6th Jan 2003, 23:43
Certain types of windscreens will show vivid structural patterns if you are wearing polarised glasses. There can also be problems with viewing some glass cockpit displays. Various other visual problems have been reported. Most pilots flying with multi-layered windscreens use non-polarised shades.

The subject was discussed here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=73848&highlight=Sunglasses) recently. Hope this helps.

Touch'n'oops
7th Jan 2003, 08:49
If you cant see the display you are looking at, just tilt your head 90 degrees and that should sort it out.

Or just don't wear polarised glasses:D :D

topgundom
7th Jan 2003, 20:41
Many thanks for the link DrSyn. Will heed your good advice and stick to the non-polarised bins, ta.