PDA

View Full Version : Minimum heights aerobatics/spinning

Not on Hercs
6th Jan 2003, 15:43
I know the military use a height to be recovered from aerobatic flight of 3000' above terrain for light aircraft, but what is the CAA minimum for aeros/spinning?

overstress
6th Jan 2003, 21:35
I thought the military used transition level plus 'height of the ground' as a minimum. Also, for starting a spin, x'/turn where x was type-dependent.

Dunno about CAA, try UK Air Pilot

*Lancer*
7th Jan 2003, 06:37
CASA (Australia) has 3000 AGL

Mark 1
7th Jan 2003, 15:05
This isn't regulated in the UK except for air shows.

Rule 5 applies as it does to all aircraft for low flying.
Aeros aren't usually permitted over congested areas or in controlled airspace.

Airshow flying is subject to the limitations of a display authorization. I think they come in 3 basic categories, but you need to demonstrate that what you do has been well practiced and safe. Spin bale-out heights would be a bit different for a Hunter as against say an RF4!

Stan Evil
7th Jan 2003, 20:16
There aren't any specific non-display aeros/spinning rules in the UK. However, there's a Safety Sense leaflt on aeros I think and this is now reproduced in LASORS. If you're using a club/school aircraft then their flying order book will normally lay down some minima.

In the absence of that then a few things to consider are:

Spinning: Hopefully the POH gives guidance about height loss in a spin (entry+maintenance+exit) so you can work out a suitable entry height if you're going to stick with recovery by 3000 ft agl. For light aircraft 3000 ft should give enough height to bale out if you've got a parachute and enough spare height for another go at recovery (or to dictate your will) if you haven't.

Aeros: To begin with then a 3000 ft base is a sensible idea as any aerobatic manoeuvre is a potential spin. Unless you're in something like a T-67M which will hold height during aeros then you'll need to start a good bit higher if you want to get a few manoeuvres done before hitting base (check your exit height from every manoeuvre!). 3000 ft should protect you from sillinesses like pulling through from inverted when you should have rolled etc but you'd probably need an underpant change after doing something like that.