PDA

View Full Version : What is a 'weather letter'?

Bluebeard2
6th Jan 2003, 14:37
Hello all

I was at Edinburgh airport on Saturday afternoon on my way back down to London and heard a tannoy announcement for Sumburgh passengers to go to the gate to collect their 'weather letters'. The flight didn't seem to be delayed, and the weather at Edinburgh at least was excellent - has anybody heard of these things and can tell me what they are?

Cheers,

BB2.

Spitoon
6th Jan 2003, 18:14
I may be way off here but it might be a confirmation that a flight was delayed due wx - something for the pax to send to an insurance company etc. Got something along those lines myself a while back - I think it had a specific name or number but I can't remember what it was.

Pickled Props
8th Jan 2003, 09:05
The type of weather letter reffered to here I think is the variety that informs that passengers that should the flight be unable to land at its destination then the company (in Sumburgh's case BA/Loganair) wont pay for alternative travel or hotels, but they will get you there by air if it is at all possible one way or another.

If you decide to go your own way then you'll have to pay for a new ticket if you change your mind again.

Get out of jail free card for the airlines. I guess these types of letters are only applicable in certain areas like Scotland where there are not too many precison approaches i.e. you cant fly as close to the ground before going round.

Hope this helps.

Pilot Pete
10th Jan 2003, 18:14
Except on routes to France where they hand you a 'French (weather) Letter' on embarkation. "Enjoy the ride" is often the saying by the welcoming CC at the top of the steps.................

:D