PDA

View Full Version : PA31 Chieftain vs C208 Grand Caravan

Jockflyer
6th Jan 2003, 08:30
OK, here's the deal.

I have the option to fly either a Chieftain or a Grand Caravan this coming tourist season in Zambia. I probably get 400-500hrs on whichever one I choose.

My intention is to return to the UK to look for a job after the season. Which would be best in the logbook? The twin time of the Chieftain or the single turbine of the Caravan?

I currently have 900hrs with 120 multi, no turbine.

I would be grateful for everyones opinion, especially those who actually look at CVs for the airlines.

Thanks

JF:cool:

Eddington the Rodger
6th Jan 2003, 18:45
I have flown both types in Africa.
Operationally and reliability fly C208.
Zambia gets hot and the C208 has a good air vent...which on a given day is a life saver.
PA-31 is OK... I appreciate its a twin but when you walk out to work in the morning the C 208 will put a smile on your face but the PA31 might make you wince.
PLus the C208 is much more versatile which means more work and its slower which means more hours.
Hope this helps.

KitKatPacificuk
7th Jan 2003, 11:59
Personally I think that the more twin hours you have the better. Lots of companies don't really rate SET time that high. Will the company in Africa pay for you type rating on the C208? If not then it's more cost, when you can already fly the multi!!

Good luck, sounds like fun whatever you choose.

Jockflyer
7th Jan 2003, 16:57
Thanks for the replies so far.

The ratings will not cost me anything. The company will pay and there is no bond.

I already work for the company who have the Chieftain (I've been flying a Baron and a C206 for them), and the other company with the Caravan is my friends dads company.

I know the Caravan wins hands down on reliability, but if I fly the Caravan it will be two crew for insurance purposes. I'll get plenty on command time but 2 crew on a slow single....come on!

Salaries will be much to same, so nothing to sway me there.

My main issue is what looks best on my CV/logbook when I return to UK for a job.

Keep the replies coming

JF

KitKatPacificuk
7th Jan 2003, 23:20
To get your ATPL issued now you need 500 multi crew! Will those hours count on the C208? Just a thought!! Might be worth enquiring. If the do then it'll be worth it.

Leo45
10th Jan 2003, 11:17
It's 500 hrs Multi crew on JAR/FAR 25 or JAR/FAR23 MPA !

The C208 does not belong to these categories (as well as many aircraft operated two crew in public transport such as C500s,which can be operated single crew in private transport category)

Whether they are C208 or PA31 hours, I can assure you that, at the moment, they do not impress the airlines (in the UK) that much....especially if it is bush flying in Africa.

I guess that with some experience on a PA31, you could hope to get a job with an air taxi operator in the UK and then, at last ,try to get a job with an airline.

After years of air taxi experience, I have not reached the last stage.....yet. May the force be with you.
:rolleyes:

AMEX
11th Jan 2003, 17:36
I guess that with some experience on a PA31, you could hope to get a job with an air taxi operator in the UK and then, at last ,try to get a job with an airline.
Absolutely !

Whether they are C208 or PA31 hours, I can assure you that, at the moment, they do not impress the airlines (in the UK) that much....especially if it is bush flying in Africa.
Well perhaps it won't impress them but I can assure you that it isn't a problem, even now. I might be lucky (once in while) but in the past 2 months I have had 3 interviews (ok one doesn't really count since it was a "refresher") in spite of my African experience making about half of my not so many hours.

Jockflyer, got your mail but I have been night stopping so I ll write back tomorrow.

Good luck

Sheep Guts
12th Jan 2003, 06:00
The Multi Column has allways been the most important one to me. It looks good I think when ya have more twin than single, but beggers cant be choosers.

Caravan will you get Left hand seat or right hand seat time?

Doesnt really matter, I would suggest sticking with the Chieftain. I wonder if Multi-Crew Caravan would be recognised by the CAA. Id say most likely not.

Depends, can you get onto anything bigger after the Van ie. progression?

Operating a Turbine is no big deal its easy especially a van, its very easy to operate. So getting turbine experience may or may not help.

If you look at Cathays application from, it has all different twin time columns with a single engine Misc COLUMN of which your caravan time would end up in.

Is it free the rating, is there a bond etc. All this has to be weighed up.

tuff decision mate really
:rolleyes:

Good Luck
Sheep

cortilla
12th Jan 2003, 08:48
jockflyer, just sent you an e-mail. any response would be appreciated