PDA

View Full Version : IMC course recommendations

Jolly Tall
5th Jan 2003, 22:01
Been considering doing an IMC for a while now, and nearly went to Welshpool, but that avenue is closed now. I did my PPL on, and still fly, low-wing a/c and don't really fancy C150/152/172. Can anyone recommend me a good school and/or instructor, preferably using Piper or maybe TB9 or Grumman a/c. Not too far south - I'm based in Leeds.

GoneWest
5th Jan 2003, 23:17
Don Graham - Leeds Flying School (look in the book).

Down side is that Don has access to a good C172.....but I believe that LFS has some Beech low wing.

A personal recommendation - I've known Don for 20 years.

Jolly Tall
6th Jan 2003, 21:02
Thanks for that GW - home turf for me but I'm not familiar with that name, but I will look him up.

Thought I might also consider somehwhere other than home base for further training.

Is the Beech a/c you refer to the Duchess? If so, twins are a bit out of my price range!

24Right
6th Jan 2003, 21:03
Just did my IMC with Phoenix at Netherthorpe. Excellent (did my PPL there previously) but only 150s I'm afraid. However, you'll be lucky to do it cheaper this side of the Pond.

24R

GoneWest
6th Jan 2003, 23:22
Bluddy 'eck, Jolly.

Save yourself the trouble of getting the phone book out - entered the words leeds+flying+school into the search engine and it gave me Leeds Flying School (http://www.leedsflyingschool.co.uk/) .

No - the aircraft I was thinking of your IMC rating was not a twin (sigh) - however, a quick look at their web-site does suggest they favour Cessna for the single engine work.

Consider doing an IMC rating at an airfield that has instrument approaches at it - and is likely to be a bolt hole when you want to get home in IMC conditions.

Being confident and understanding with a particular approach can be a good safety aid - and why pay to position the aircraft??

(I do have some answers to that question)!!

Jolly Tall
7th Jan 2003, 08:11
GW,

Lazy bleeder I may be, but not that lazy ;). I am familiar with the LFS web-site, but as the FI's aren't mentioned by name there I meant I will go to aformentioned place and seek him out in person. Clear now? ;)

KitKatPacificuk
7th Jan 2003, 23:47
I did my IR at LFS and couldn't fault them. Kevin Rowell did my training and he is a top guy. I know you don't wanna fly in a high wing, but to tell you the truth you 'll be so busy doing your scan and setting up aids that you wont notice how high or low the wings are! You'll have screens or foggles on so you wont be able to see outside anyway!

I used to teach IMC out of Denham. Having to fly to Southend or Cranfield just to brush up on an ILS or NDB was a pain and a waste of money.

Leeds has all the facilities you need to do you IMC without having to travel somewhere else to do them, saving time and money. If you live there and they have the aids, do it.

Have fun, it's a great rating to do, I loved teaching it!

GoneWest
8th Jan 2003, 00:14
Jolly, sorry buddy - re-read my posting and it sounded way nastier than it was meant to be (written with tongue in cheek - read with finger in air).

Didn't mean to sound nasty. Just wanted to help.

You have started well by deciding that you want to do an IMC - do yourself another favour - do it at Leeds - and do it with LFS.

Best of luck.

Jolly Tall
8th Jan 2003, 08:47
GoneWest,

No worries - no offence was taken. Thnaks for taking the time to reply :).