PDA

View Full Version : Is this (CAA) charge legitamate?

GearUp CheerUp
4th Jan 2003, 19:54
Im researching what I need to do in order to go and do some flying in the US later this year.

As my existing license is based on a UK CAA PPL which has now turnedinto a JAA ATPL then I understand I need to fill in FAA form 'Verification of Foreign License, Rating and Medical Certification' form in order to get the required security clearance.

On the FAA website it says that UK pilots ned to complete an additional form SRG 1160 'UK License Verification Authorisation for FAA License Validation' which is issued by the CAA and basically allows the CAA to release your details to the FAA when they ask for them; apparantly its a requirement under the data protection act.

The fee demanded by the CAA for this is £15.00. I thought Id read somewhere that the maximum charge the law allows for a fee for the release of data is £2.00.

Any opinions?

Keef
4th Jan 2003, 20:19
I don't know what the law says (if anything), but I've certainly seen £15 and more quoted for such things.

One outfit that was bugging me asked for £75 when I asked them to tell me where they got my details. (I complained to the Data Protection Registrar, or whatever it's called these days, but absolutely nothing happened as a result)

This is the CAA anyway, and they're sort-of Government so are above the law (aren't they?)

Flyin'Dutch'
4th Jan 2003, 22:07
Hi

It sounds as though the form is nowt more than a consent form and if that is the case it is odd (but presumably possible) to be charged for that.

With regards to data about you being held on record and the release thereof I can only tell you that if you want to have a copy of the data that NHS bodies have you can sight of that for a tenner.

If you want copies you will have to pay towards the reasonable cost with a maximum of £50.

You basically pay for the retrieval of the data. And although the data is about you, it is not actually yours!

:eek:

HTH

FD

drauk
4th Jan 2003, 22:59
I think the two pounds to which you refer was the amount one could be charged for access to your own data under the Data Protection Act. That act has now been extended and the charge is now generally ten pounds. But this is for certain types of information only and it is only for you personally to access your own information. A body can charge you what it likes to allow someone else access to your information.

As for my opinion (as requested!) I'm surprised anybody who can afford to fly, even in America, would care enough about fifteen quid to query it.

GoneWest
4th Jan 2003, 23:37
Gear Up - if you have an existing FAA "issued on the basis of" - are you sure you NEED to verify with the Ministry of Planes??

If you are just hour building - the FAA is still valid - if you wish to add ratings then you need to spend the £15.

t'aint natural
4th Jan 2003, 23:39
Nothing to do with Data Protection.
The last government (bless their cotton socks) decreed that the CAA had to be financially self-supporting. As a result, they charge what they damned well please, and if you don't like it you don't have to use the service.

DB6
5th Jan 2003, 18:36
drauk, I assume you don't fly and don't know many people who do, otherwise you wouldn't think that all flyers are rich. I certainly amn't. £15 is £15 or, depending on where you fly, about 10 minutes' worth.