PDA

View Full Version : Expired SEP rating and IMC test

Charley
2nd Jan 2003, 19:15
Hi folks,

I have a JAR-FCL PPL(A). The SEP Rating expired a few months ago; due to my work and a brief, unscheduled stay in hospital I didn't get a chance to revalidate* it beforehand.

I have flown since then, the lack of the rating hasn't been a problem because all my hours since have been dual instruction towards my IMC Rating. I am now ready for my IMC flight test but am unsure as to where I stand with respect to the SEP.

Can I renew* my SEP rating during the same flight as the IMC flight test? Or do I need to do them seperately? The 2002 edition of LASORS is not clear on this. My current instructor thinks it should be okay, but an approving nod from 'one who knows' would be very reassuring.

Any advice offered will be gratefully accepted.

Cheers
Charley

* - I think the right words are in the right places, but I do sometimes get 'revalidation' and 'renewal' mixed up - confusing stuff ;)

BEagle
2nd Jan 2003, 21:14
I don't see any reason why not - although it'll be quite a long flight! I'd do the IMC bit first, then go and do the SEP renewal. Another advantage will be that when you come to revalidate your IMC Rating in 2 years' time, if you do it before your SEP Class Rating expires again then you can count it instead of the 'dual training flight' requirement since you'll be flying a test/check to revalidate a rating.

PS-Congratuations - you were correct with revalidation/renewal terminology!

CaptAirProx
2nd Jan 2003, 22:11
BEagle, you really should start charging for your services on here!It could be a real money spinner if you took on the CAA business plan. That means charge whatever you want, change it whenever you want, and never tell a soul!

Oh, plus you could make up serveral conflicting documents for general sale at a price, describing how best your customers could be ripped off in one foul swoop. Not forgetting that helpful phone number when all goes wrong, to the call centre manned by many inexperienced people who don't know the answer to the customers query and just fob off a load of tripe from the afforementioned publications you have already sold!

But remember, always shut down the business for lunch so no one can call you just like any modern company does these days. NOT

Am I getting bitter and twisted?

Flyin'Dutch'
3rd Jan 2003, 21:51
Hi

For future reference:

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_gid33.pdf

Have fun.

FD

Charley
11th Jan 2003, 19:49
Thank you all for your replies, very much appreciated.

Charley