PDA

View Full Version : Turbulence in the upper airspace

Final 3 Greens
2nd Jan 2003, 16:00
As a PPL. I always feel a little like a fish out of water in a big aeroplane, since the environment is so different to chugging around at 2000ft.

We came back from a family holiday in Mallorca a couple of days ago and the sector took 2h30. Having been to Palma quite a lot, I am aware that this is a long airborne time for the sector.

The flightdeck PA mentioned strong headwinds, a routing via Bordeaux (it was a very smooth flight) and a cruising level of 360 in a 73'.

My question is whether it would be reasonable to expect some mod CAT (we were VMC until well into the descent) given the strong headwinds?

I really don't understand turb at airliner flight levels and am intrigued as to why such a smooth flight happened under the circumstances.

Mister Slot
2nd Jan 2003, 20:27
We came back from a family holiday in Mallorca a couple of days ago and the sector took 2h30. Having been to Palma quite a lot, I am aware that this is a long airborne time for the sector.
Hmmm..... tricky one F3G. Where were you bound - U.K. I presume? Two and a half hours to LGW would indeed be quite a drag but to GLA a swift return!!

As for the turbulence question - a definitive answer is one that the seasoned pro's still seek. It is not unusual to sit in a 150kt jetstream enjoying a smooth ride and later be in a 5kt zephyr having the ride of a lifetime (so to speek :) ). Ironically, the aircraft following a few minutes behind may well experience the exact opposite.

Final 3 Greens
3rd Jan 2003, 07:00
Mr Slot

Destination was STN.