View Full Version : Night rating flying in USA, issue in UK.

Skippymon
3rd May 2001, 15:40
Has anyone experienced difficulty applying for a UK night rating on a CAA PPL having done the 5 hours of night flying in the US?

I flew all the requirmentas for a night rating recently in the USA but am concerned that it won't count because it wasn;t conducted by a CAA CFI or strictly in accordance with JAR FCL 1.

Any comments gratefully received.

Skips

ickle black box
3rd May 2001, 17:47
Hi,

Have you actually done whats needed for the issue of a CAA night rating? The requirements to fly at night under the FAA rules are different, as the FAA doesn't have an official night rating. If you've done the 5 hours at night, send it off, and see what the CAA say.

ickle

everybody
3rd May 2001, 18:01
This is what I did, albeit almost a decade ago. They checked what I'd done very carefully and gave me the night rating. Unless it's different with JARs, as long as you've done the flying you should be fine.

juswonnafly
3rd May 2001, 22:31
Skippy,

Unfortunately the night rating can ONLY be taught by CAA/JAA instructors. It can be taught in the States (I've taught a few) but does need to comply with CAA requirement.

Sorry dude

JWF http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Skippymon
3rd May 2001, 23:04
juswonnafly, what is the CAA requirement then? When you say 'it CAN be taught in the US' does that still mean by a CAA/JAA CFI?

You see, I did 3 hrs dual night with an FAA instructor, then got signed off for night solo on my FAA student pilot certificate and did all the requirements, (ie. 1hr nav, 5 full stops, 1 departure and rejoin and the 5hrs sim IR).

If I have fullfiled the basic flying requiremnts and am competent then isn't that enough? If I remember rightly, the CAA said they would be happy to issue a multi when I asked them about doing the training in France in french, as long as I did the right number of hours. The fact that the instructor was French didn't seem to bother them.

This is one to check with the CAA I fear!

skips

Sensible
4th May 2001, 00:19
I did the training in the USA with an FAA instructor, came back to the UK and got the night rating from the CAA. That was a couple or three years ago though!

paul-g
4th May 2001, 00:34
Your night rating is probably your cheapest rating. If you're considering becoming a professional pilot then you need all the night flying you can get.

I really don't know but I would go along with comments that the training needs to be conducted by CAA instructors like me. Only problem is that there's only a handful of places in UK which do night flying.

Good luck

juswonnafly
4th May 2001, 09:18
Skippy,

A friend of mine (UK CAA FI) with an American night rating was still made to do the full JAA course for his night rating.

Only 5 hours now (3 dual, 1 x-c, 5 f.stops) and no inst requirement.

I agree, check with CAA as they do seem to have 'flexible' goalposts.

Cheers

JWF :)

Skippymon
5th May 2001, 18:11
In case any one was wondering, the caa said all the info was on their site. I found this, which is interesting: (non more instrument requirement)

Ratings/Endorsements - Night Rating: Are there any changes to obtaining and
maintaining a Night Rating?

The night rating is now known as a Night Qualification, and the training requirement andchanges are as follows:

AEROPLANES:
5 hours night flying in aeroplanes, to include 3 hours dual ( including 1 hour navigation training) and 5 solo take-offs and full stop landings.The training may be completed at any time, and can now be completed as part of theJAR-FCL PPL(A) course.

The minimum flying experience before starting the course has been removed. The instrument
flying instruction has been removed.

Ratings/Endorsements - Night Rating: Can I transfer my night rating from my non-UK licence?

Yes, providing that you have met the minimum requirements for the new Night Qualification
detailed below. The PPL(A) Night Qualification requirements must include a minimum of 5 hours night flying training (including 3 hours night dual instruction, to include 1 hour of cross-country navigation, and 5 solo take-offs and full-stop landings.

So, it sounds like since I have done the required flying no mtatter where it was, I should be able to get a UK night qual.

I'll let you know if it works!

skips