PDA

View Full Version : Welshpool

Hairyplane
2nd Jan 2003, 14:26
I recall a thread a few months back about Welshpool.

A chap who lives near Oswestry has applied for planning permission to operate King Air turboprop and Baron-type aircraft - 'for private use and in connection with his business/ 6 movements a day max - from an 800 metre grass strip in the Midlands.

I am not twin-rated but 800 metres does seem a bit short, especially in a crosswind/ wet grass etc.

I understand that he was or is associated with Welshpool.

Can anybody give me the inside track on this bloke, the reason for the move etc?

I am all for farm strips but this application suggests a serious commercial operation, perhaps with a future expansion agenda.

Can anybody point me to the originator of the Welshpool thread?

EMails eagerly awaited!

HP

Whirlybird
2nd Jan 2003, 16:59
Hairyplane,

Check your messages.

Hairyplane
4th Jan 2003, 16:03
I am most grateful for the Emails.

I got all the information I needed and more.

Thank you! xxxx

HP

johnboy555
4th Jan 2003, 16:50
what has it got to do with you!:mad:

Whirlybird
4th Jan 2003, 19:23
An interesting first post on PPRuNe, johnboy

Why the anger? :confused:

johnboy555
4th Jan 2003, 23:38
No anger at all whirlybird,just wondered why the guy was so interested in other peoples business.As I said what has it got to do with him.:)

Stampe
5th Jan 2003, 10:34
JB just look at wear HP lives, if you had property near this proposed development you,d be looking for an inside angle on what was going on.Face it a commercially operated airstrip for a King Air is a bit different from the average farmstrip which I know HP would welcome as he uses them all the time including those in that area.Suspect there,s more to this application than meets the eye!!.Information thats what this sites all about,unless of course you have something to hide!!. :(

AerBabe
5th Jan 2003, 12:56
You could ask "What has it to do with them" for many of the threads in this forum, and the others. HP's post was written politely, and with no malevolence. As Stampe said, HP is a local - why shouldn't he be interested in what's happening in his area? :)

johnboy555
5th Jan 2003, 15:32
My apoligies to hp I didn't realise that he came from Owestry.
And if the reason is because he lives next door then of course he has an interest in such activites. I am sure that he has made enquires to the proper authorities.:)

Daifly
5th Jan 2003, 18:29
The King Air is a sprightly performer (well, sometimes!) and I know of a 90 that's operated off a private grass strip which is around 800m long.

Would've thought that 6 rotations a day with it might dig up the surface somewhat eventually!

Perhaps it's a cheap way of ploughing - European grants and all that...!

But, for a commercial operation of a King Air you need at least Cat 3 fire cover (yes, 2 if you want to be pedantic!) and the joys of commercial flying would not lend themselves to a private strip which could be closed due waterlogging and has no approach aids (and therefore would require, for Pub Trans, a dispensation for the a/c - and under current JAR regs (which will probably change as I type) that would mean a phone call to the CAA each time. And some money. Funny that.

Evo
5th Jan 2003, 18:51
The King Air is a sprightly performer (well, sometimes!) and I know of a 90 that's operated off a private grass strip which is around 800m long.

I can believe it. The Cega King Airs use surprisingly little of Goodwood's longest runway (the 1280m 14/32) and i'm fairly sure they use the 850m runway 24 in conditions that would make their usual choice of 14/32 a bit too 'interesting'.

They do make a good plough when Goodwood is at its most soggy, but they usually head off to Lee on Solent at that point. Sadly not an option for the rest of us :( :)