PDA

View Full Version : Ercan (?) Airport..Cyprus

Tonic Please
2nd Jan 2003, 12:52
The family shall be flying out there in the last two weeks of July to Famagusta(?). Is it Cyprus/Turkish who fly there, because apparently you fly from either T1, or T2 at LHR....wait on the plane at Istanbul.......and then fly on to Ercan. I have recently been told that Ercan runway is being re-layed, and at the moment have to fly into military airbase.

Anyone know when Ercan is giong to be back in service?

Dan :D

Tolsti
3rd Jan 2003, 07:23
Ercan is slated to re-open in April and so you should not be flying into Getikale although I understand that this facility has coped well.

I have sent you a private message re N Cyprus.

Great place, great people.....have fun

Stud3
4th Jan 2003, 11:36
Doubt you'll get anywhere near Famagusta mate! The turks took it off the Greek Cypriots back in the 70's as a sort of ransom over the on going dispute over the ownership of Cyprus.

Famagusta is a ghost town now(well was in March last year) and has been since the invasion. As far as i know the only way to get there is from the north, but i believe the turkish military aren't allowing anyone into Famagusta, even Turkish Cypriots.

We stood on the top of a watch tower on the Greek Cypriot side of the UN buffer zone and we could see famagusta and it was scary, like a war zone.

Would have been interesting to have seen it close up, have a walk around etc, but we only seen propaganda videos from the Greek Cypriots point of view about the invasion.

Tolsti
4th Jan 2003, 12:09
The Famagusta you are referring to is indeed split into 2 and one large part including many beachfront hotels and large churches are in the buffer zone into which no-one is allowed. However the other part of Famagusta (Gazimagusa) is alive and kicking as a trading centre and port. The road past the Post office and hospital just comes to an dead end at the beginning of the buffer zone.

White Knight
7th Jan 2003, 10:29
The part of Famagusta that is the ghost town is called Varosha, however northern Famagusta is alive and kicking - especially inside the old walled city.
You can also fly with THY Turkish airlines via IST. I think 2 or 3 flights a day to Ercan.