PDA

View Full Version : Birdscaring close to T/Off and Landing !

Bombay Bad Boy
1st Jan 2003, 18:06
Something happened the other day and I would like all you Pilots to comment on it, so I can gauge how aircrew feel about this:

The incident goes.......I am a Controller at a busy UK airport. I had given an aircraft landing clearance. When the aircraft touched down and started its braking, the individual responsible for Bird Scaring started firing bird scaring pyrotechnics towards the runway and in direct conflict with the landed aircraft.

The last of the cartridges I estimate must have exploded about 150-200 metres in front of the landing aircraft which was still not yet down to taxiing speed.

To me, I was uncomfortable with what the bird control did, since I do not have any control over their methods or where they fire cartridges, I apologised to the crew for the close proximity of the explosion. I would be interested in your opinions please !

Are you comfortable with cartridges exploding in close proximity during critical phases of flight such as take off and landing?

lomapaseo
1st Jan 2003, 19:29
The true issue here is safety which is not a matter for judging on the basis of subjective comfort to pilots who were not involved.

Your concern should be parsed down to the specific details possibly related to safety and then judged on its technical merits.

The cracker shell typically used by bird control have a very limited range and are more noise than mass once fired. It's doubtful that the man who fires the gun could get close enough to a plane to actually hit it without losing his own hearing from the plane itself..

The idea is to get the attention of the birds and to then encourage them to move away from the runway before the plane puts them into a panic mode.

The timing and effect is to place the birds just far enough away that should they take flight in a frightened mode they will not intersect the path of the plane. As such, care must be taken to ensure that you do not over-encourage them to the point that they threaten yet another active runway.

It's yet another form of traffic control on your airport. If you have concerns, you should take them up with the airport management staff, so that you can both better understand each others operation..

The birds are clearly a much higher threat to the aircraft than the cracker shells. So the bird clearing operation is critically necessary

dolly737
1st Jan 2003, 21:31
@BBB:

Never seen a "birdshell" exploding. I'd guess after touchdown no big deal - what would I do anyway except continue braking?!

It's a totally different story when it comes to takeoff. I can imagine aborting when I see something exploding in front of me - certainly no good idea at all, even if being advised before.

happy landings

Bombay Bad Boy
2nd Jan 2003, 03:33
Ioma,..... thank you for you comments, actually, I am fully aware how and why Bird Control operations happen at our aerodrome, but thank you anyway. Maybe I should Clarify a bit further...

The Fire Cracker was the specific type that when fired, is propelled through the air and after a brief timescale explodes producing a white flash and a large bang. This is similar to a thunderflash if you have any military experience.

In this case the pyrotechnic was fired from a cat II holding point and was easily able to produce its white flash over the runway centreline.

I do not wish to get embroiled in a debate with the airport authority over whether or not this specific type of firing should take place especially if pilots dont mind having fire crackers exploding in their oncoming path.

The birds in this specific incident were not in the region of the runway.

I know every persons view will depend on the situation, but if your telling me as a commercial pilot you have no concern for fire cracker explosions in your oncoming path, then I can quit worrying about it myself and not even approach the issue with the authorities.

sharpshot
2nd Jan 2003, 07:33
BBB
Not sure where you work - hope its not here, because our Bird controllers are instructed not to use pyrotechnics in the vicinity of a/c taxiing, landing and taking-off.

Not all shells go off as planned and in dry summers can start grass fires. They are loud enough, if in close proximity, to be heard inside aircraft. No need to create too much anxiety;)

If you need to disperse birds on the runway or in the strip, then someone needs to decide the safety priorities - move a/c or move birds.

We broadcast on the ATIS, (when applicable),that extensive bird dispersal is taking place.

Captain Stable
4th Jan 2003, 11:44
BBB, I would hope that you have some input to the Airport Authority and that they would take your concerns seriously enough to recommend a little retraining to this particular person.

If you don't feel that happy about it, then I would suggest a report into CHIRPs.

Bombay Bad Boy
6th Jan 2003, 17:13
Captain Stable,

Thanks for your input, unfortunately the Airport Authority think its none of our business, their guys are highly trained professionals !!

At other airports Ive worked at, the discharge of pyrotechnics especially in the vicinity of aircraft requires ATC permission. In my incident a distinct lack of common sense was present and the channels above to express concern are definately closed !!

CHIRPS is a very good idea, thank you

sharpshot
7th Jan 2003, 07:15
BBB,

I would like to think that where aviation safety is concerned channels of communication, if that is what you refer to, are definitely "not closed".

As an ATCO, I must assume that either you work for the aerodrome licensee or for an organisation that is contracted to the licensee. In which case, dialogue must be possible:(
Someone in your organisation must surely meet to discuss operational issues with whoever pays for your services.