PDA

View Full Version : EGKB to EGFF

Barney_Gumble
1st Jan 2003, 13:10
Hello Folks,

I am planning a trip from Biggin Hill to Cardiff. As a start, I have just drawn a line from Biggin Hill via OCK all the way west to Burnham-on-Sea, where I intend to turn north a pick up the approach via Cardiff Docks and Wenvoe TV Mast. I have a good friend who works in the ATSU in Cardiff and so can check all the rules, regulations and procedures at that end no problem.

My question is, I have noticed quite few Danger Areas, MATZ and the Yeovilton North AIAA and wondered if any of you folks have any experience of these and more importantly, obstacles and areas on route that I should definitely steer well clear of. Based on my planning, I will amend the route to suit the path of max safety and least resistance.

For background, I am a 100hrs PPL with a day VFR licence and my own shared C172 aircraft.

As stated, I will obviously be doing the in-depth research and planning, but I wondered if anyone has some tips as there is nothing like a little experience to help the planning.

Cheers

Barney

Keef
1st Jan 2003, 17:00
Done that route a few times.

No major problems, but you do have to do your plogging before you go.

Go round (or over) the Danger Areas, or talk to the relevant ATC and get status - they might be cold. I always go round, as it's not much further and saves the faffing about.

Talk to the ATC at the MATZ (most of them are closed at weekends anyway) for clearance through. But avoid the ATZ unless you have permission to enter!

Yeovilton - go under it, over it, or talk to them.

Sounds like a nice, easy flight.

AlanM
1st Jan 2003, 19:21
From departure go to Farnboro LARS on 125.25 once clear of Kenley gliding site. They will be able to see you from the Epsom Racecourse area. Needn't bother Thames on 132.7 or SVFR 119.9.

They can help co-ordinate through the Odiham MATZ - though there may be gliding at weekends so plan to avoid their ATZ.

Rest as said - should be quite uneventful - just don't make it hard on yourself - avoid the DA's unless you want the Faff practice!

The only thing re' the Yeovilton AIAA is keep a VERY good lookout! Otherwise it shouldn't be too tricky if you are used to flying around "tin-can-alley"! (The airspace between LF-KB around OCK up to 2.4A!!) ...only the aircraft might be a tad faster!!!!

Have fun - and if you ever need any ballast...............!

Alan

Cloudbasher
5th Jan 2003, 15:42
Hi

I suggest that its better to talk to someone thesedays than to go round or under ect..

Yeovilton are extremely helpful and even happier if you use/ have a transponder, also they would be happy to arrange handovers to Cardiff / Bristol should you need it...

Enjoy the flight!

Cloudbasher

BEagle
5th Jan 2003, 16:42
If I was flying from Biggin Hill to Cardiff, I think that I’d probably route to Wisley/OCK VOR at around 2300 ft, then direct to the Marlborough VRP in Wiltshire. Call Farnborough before reaching the Farnborough/Blackbushe/Odiham area (they should be able to tell you whether D133 is active above 1200 ft) and then climb to 3000 ft once past Blackbushe in order to avoid bonging the Aldermaston restricted area (R101). At Newbury, change to Lyneham and ask to cross the Lyneham zone direct from Marlborough to the Portishead VRP on the coast of the Severn. Once past Colerne, change to Filton and ask to cross from Portishead VRP to Cardiff Docks VRP, calling Cardiff when clear of Portishead. Or, if you don’t like the idea of a longish Bristol Channel crossing, cross direct to Wales and then fly down the coast to be at 1500 ft at the Cardiff Docks VRP.

Any other suggestions?

Barney_Gumble
11th Jan 2003, 14:12
Thanks all for the advice. First attempt was fogged off but will be trying again soon.

I have presently settled on EGKB, OCK, DEVIZES VRP, BATH VRP, CHARMY DOWN, PORTISHEAD VRP at FL45 (well from North abeam Odiham anyway) then descend into Cardiff Docks for join to EGFF probably from the North (Wenvoe Mast).

I will take a closer look at your route BEagle........

Regards

Barney