PDA

View Full Version : Night qualification - currency

FlyingForFun
30th Dec 2002, 16:18
Is there any requirement, according to UK/JAR regulations, to maintain any kind of night currency (other than 1 of the 3 landings in the previous 90 days being at night if carrying pax)?

The reason I ask is because I wasn't aware of any... as far as I knew, once you get your night qualification, it's good for as long as your license is valid. But last weekend I was told that you need to have completed 5 take-offs and landings to a full stop, at night, within the previous 12 months, for your night qualification to remain valid. Is this true? Completely made up? Or some mixed up version based on rules which died years ago? (Personally, I think the latter is most likely...)

Thanks,

FFF
--------------

Keef
30th Dec 2002, 18:04
The 5 night takeoffs and landings is the old night rating revalidation routine.

It's now 3 takeoffs and landings in the last 90 days, of which one must be at night if you want to carry passengers at night.

In the USA, it's 3 t/o and landing at night in the last 90 days.

Irv
30th Dec 2002, 21:38
QDMx3: Tell us who it was (even if in general terms!) - eg; was it someone or on behalf of someone who would or would not make more money from it? :rolleyes:

GoneWest
31st Dec 2002, 03:07
Just in passing, FFF - that's why it's now called a night qualification - you are qualified to do it (night flying)...so go do it!!

The old night rating required revalidation/renewal to keep the rating current......hence the five take offs/landings.

(Learned that on here, some months ago - bugged me for a long time as to why the name change - just blamed it on JAA being bluddy awkward [but I was wrong {again}]).

BEagle
31st Dec 2002, 06:14
I understand that it was originally 3 night take-offs and landings in that type/class of aeroplane in the previous 90 days to carry passengers at night in the same type/class, but certain airlines pointed out that this would have been impossible at certain times of the year - e.g. transatlantic fights taking off in the summer evening and arriving in Europe the following morning after a period of night flying....... So it was changed to the current rule.

FlyingForFun
31st Dec 2002, 08:07
Thanks guys - seems like this is a left-over idea from the old rules which doesn't apply any more, as I suspected.

Irv (I guess your question was intended for me, and not QDMx3?), it was from an instructor, but not one I have a whole load of respect for. I don't believe him or his school would make any money from it, because I'd be hiring their aircraft and flying it at night anyway, it just means I'd have to spend a little while in the circuit instead of general handling or cross-country flying. I think it's a genuine mistake.

FFF
---------------

Irv
31st Dec 2002, 09:53
Fx3 -yes sorry, apologies to you and QDMx3 - just shows how strong Chilean red is! I won't actually amend it with hindsight or it makes your comment look strange - I'll just apologise for confusion!
The main thing is that I'm getting feedback from all over the place that many instructors make mistakes with JAR, but strangely enough I haven't yet heard of a case yet where the misunderstanding worked in financial favour of the pilot. :rolleyes: but always to disadvantage. Even though you apparently don't mind, I think this 'qualifies', as others will be getting the same advice and doing extra circuits they don't need to. I suppose he said they had to be full stops too.. ???

ps: to avoid more confusion, I hope there is no-one out there in Pprune called 'Chilean red' !! I meant the wine... :)