PDA

View Full Version : FI Renewal - Format?

G-SPOTs Lost
29th Dec 2002, 18:12
My FI rating is approaching 3yrs old, I have decided to have my Ear Bent again and do a flight test can somebody give me a rough idea of what to expect? mandatory requirements etc (Spin?)

Ta

eyeinthesky
29th Dec 2002, 19:51
If you have done the necessary 100 hours instruction TOWARDS THE INITIAL GRANT OF A LICENCE (note) in 3 years of which 30 in the last 12 months you will only need to do the test.

I should expect to have to give a pre-flight brief on one of the exercises from the PPL syllabus and maybe have a discussion about some of the other issues, such as Privileges of the PPL or something.

Then out to the aircraft to fly the exercise, with the addition (in my recent case) of a patter and demonstration of spin recovery from a developed spin, a demonstration and patter of a 180 degree turn on instruments, and a demonstration of a PFL. Back to the circuit for glide, flapless and short field approach. Mine took 0.9 from brakes off to brakes on.

Sound OK?

If you haven't got the necessary hours you will need to do the 2-day seminar. I did it and skipped on the pre-flight brief and theory chats because we just discussed what had been taught on the seminar.

juggernaut
30th Dec 2002, 20:39
You got away light. My renewal took 2 hours 10 minutes and included long brief on descending part 2, short brief on powered PFL, Flight was ; teach take off, P2 climb, teach descending 2, teach incipient stall in approach config, teach incipient spin recovery, teach full spin, teach ltd panel climb and spiral dive recovery, teach PFL in full, teach VOR hold and procedure, teach go around, position aircraft and patter a PAR, reposition aircraft and teach flapless, normal and short field landing. Question and answer session for one hour on usual stuff. Started at 9.00 a.m. and finished at 4.30 pm. A long hard day but marginally cheaper than the seminar at £190 plus aircraft and must admit I learnt a lot.