PDA

View Full Version : Hadj flights

Lump Jockey
29th Dec 2002, 14:19
What are these so-called Hadj flights, and when do they occur, please. Very ignorant when it comes to anything political or religion related! Sorry!

Redstripe
29th Dec 2002, 14:43
The Hadj is the annual pilgrimage of Muslims from their home countries to Mecca (which is near Jeddah in Saudia Arabia). All good Muslims are supposed to make this pilgrimage once in their lives. It happens between January and March and involves huge numbers of people. For this reason, a number of airlines base aircraft in Jeddah or in other Muslim countries at this time of year to cater for this demand.

(This is a rather simplistic answer - I'm sure others can answer more precisely).

sky9
29th Dec 2002, 16:53
Lump Jockey,

Take a look in Google at Hadj & Hajj (the alternative spelling of an arabic word).
Redstripe is correct that at the present the Hajj flights are between January and March, but every year the time comes forward about 1 week. At the present time the Hajj coincides with a quiet period for western Northern hemisphere airlines so they bid for the work, however in about 10-12 years time the work will be in our busy period and most of the current airlines will be less interested in the work.

mutt
31st Dec 2002, 05:54
One of the requirements of the Islamic religion is to perform a pilgrimage to the Holy City of Makkah at least once in your lifetime. This takes place during the Hegira month of Dhu-Al-Hajjah, hence the name. This year it will start on the 6th of Feb.

From an aviation point of view, it involves flying over a million people into Jeddah/Madinah, Saudi Arabia starting next Saturday.

Mutt.

Hartington
31st Dec 2002, 08:10
And, I believe, there is a special terminal at the airport which only ever gets used for the Hadj traffic.

Localiser Green
31st Dec 2002, 08:12
And for your interest the three Britannia 763s leased to Garuda for the Hadj are leaving Luton from Thursday through to next Wednesday. The aircraft will return to LTN in mid-March.

AFAIK 1 or 2 a/c based in Singapore and another in Batam, flying predominantely to and from Jeddah.

Whilst this is a slightly different question, does anyone happen to know how financially lucrative the Hadj is to the crews who do it (like the BY pilots)? Are there minimum experience levels before you are allowed to bid for it or not (e.g. SFOs or above only?). Thanks.

Flight Detent
1st Jan 2003, 05:12
Hi all,
yes, there is a special 'Hajj only' passenger terminal at Jeddah, in Saudi Arabia, which uses three 11,000 foot runways, a very big airport, so you can get some idea of the size of the place.

The Hajj occurs 28 days after the end if the Ramadan period, which, in itself, is triggered by the sighting of the moon!
(that's why the starting time varies, ie advances, each year)
The Hajj, this year, will start about the 5JAN, and finish about the 17MAR.

All the airlines permitted to operate into Jeddah for this operation, are not allowed to carry any cargo at all, only pax baggage, which also includes the return, empty flight!

It's a very busy period, with about a two week period in the middle, where everybody is where they want to be, and the aircraft and crews, with the possible exeption of the ground engineers, get dome well earned time off!

Cheers

Lump Jockey
1st Jan 2003, 12:38
Thanks a lot for that, very informative!

Mister Slot
1st Jan 2003, 20:13
Localiser Green,

The "White Hatters" will, as before, have half a dozen (not three) 767-300's chartered by Garuda. It is the flight crew, not the aircraft, who are "based."

This year all crew will be based in SIN due to the security issues surrounding Indonesia. Regrettably therefore, the Hajj is less financially lucrative this year because of the much higher cost of living in the "Lion City."

With one or two exceptions/conditions, the vast majority of BY crew are eligible to bid for the Hajj contract.

Hope this helps.

P.S. BAL don't have SFO's. The fearless and highly skilled aviators who occupy the RH seat are either SO's or FO's (not withstanding TC's of course!!).

atb1943
1st Jan 2003, 20:52
I noticed two B747-200s at BOH yesterday in Saudia colours, both I assume leased from EAAC for the Hadj. A 747SP was parked next to them (VP-BAT).

Localiser Green
2nd Jan 2003, 08:38
Mister Slot,

Thanks for that information. Do you know if the crew are put up in a hotel in SIN for the period, or does BAL rent apartments or something for them?

Thanks.

Bally Heck
2nd Jan 2003, 09:49
Each crew member and support staff are given a hotel room for the duration localiser. The room is reserved even when down route. A sort of home from home. As Mister Slot says, it will be less financially lucrative this year due to the high cost of Tiger beer compared to Bintang! :(

mutt
2nd Jan 2003, 15:04
I noticed two B747-200s at BOH yesterday in Saudia colours, both I assume leased from EAAC for the Hadj.

You assumed correctly! Saudia has leased 14 aircraft to assist them in this years Hajj.

And, I believe, there is a special terminal at the airport which only ever gets used for the Hadj traffic.

That used to be the case, but its now used all year around for Umra traffic.

Mutt.

Redstripe
2nd Jan 2003, 19:23
The 2 EAAC 747s at BOH have been wet-leased by Saudia for the Hadj period. They will in fact be used on scheduled Saudia services whilst Saudia move 2 of their own (higher capacity) aircraft onto Hadj work. A third EAAC a/c is already in KUL and will be flying the Hadj for Air Asia.

If you work for EAAC it is not lucrative at all.

Localiser Green
6th Jan 2003, 12:01
Interesting topic, wouldn't mind living in Singapore for a few months myself one day..

Just a small additional query, I assume the Cabin Crew are also involved in the lease (from Britannia)?