PDA

View Full Version : time to finish what I started

Andy_R
28th Dec 2002, 03:10
To fill you in on the background first, I started my ppl(a) in January 2000 at Shoreham and limped through umpteen cancelled lessons and work related cancellations, until finally after 20 hours I soloed in April 2001. My last lesson was a cross country to Headcorn in the first week of Sept 2001.

Then "it" happened and my business, along with thousands of others, suffered a loss in turnover which has prevented me from continuing. Now being back in a position to return to completing my ppl I would appreciate some advice.

Choice of aerodrome is Shoreham as I live nearby. Both my initial instructors have left for RHS jobs in jets, so have the decision to make as to whether to stay with the flight school I was with (which has changed hands) or start afresh.

Question is, if its ethical, can anyone recommend a school or instructor (maybe a ppruner) to revise and then finish ppl with? Although I know all the names of the schools and have visited them all, they all seem much alike in many ways.

I realise that I will have to retake at least my Air Law exam, and the medical, is there anything else I should bear in mind?

Bearing in mind I wish to progress to CPL/Multi/IR would it be more beneficial to save a little more and go get say the Module One courses available in say South Africa? Purely for the value for money on offer at the moment and the fact it will give me intensive training?

Or am I better off just getting my ppl and then using any spare money for a share? and then progressing to night/multi as and when.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.
Also, is it ethical to perhaps put instructional work the way of a fellow ppruner? Providing we could develop a good student/instructor relationship!!!

Thank you for your time

PeteB
28th Dec 2002, 15:32
If you're intending flying from shoreham, I can recommend Sky Leisure, they were very professional and friendly when I was flying with them last winter. They are also part of the Redair group which offers training all the way up to commercial levels.
As to finding cheaper flying elsewhere, it's certainly possible, but I think it would be sensible to get some experience over here first, and also a base in the uk to keep current.