PDA

View Full Version : Pooleys Flight Guide updates

Ian_Wannabe
27th Dec 2002, 22:36
Hey,
I was just wondering where I can get the Pooleys Flight Guide updates from. Does anyone know if they are available to download because I know you can buy them in the shops, and I thought that you could download them?

Another thing, they say they're updated annually - is there a certain date that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance and happy new year!

Ian

Pilot16
27th Dec 2002, 23:06
2003 addition is already out :cool:

Ian_Wannabe
27th Dec 2002, 23:59
Hey - Yeah I know I have 2003, i'm just looking forwards to the next year. You dont have to buy a brand new Flight Guide for each year do you? Surely they have ammendments that you just update your current issue with?

Thanks in advance

Ian

Pilot16
28th Dec 2002, 08:28
Ian, I am still to purchase my first ever Flight Guide but i know what you mean. I believe the amendment service keeps everything up to date (the more expensive version) through out the year so by the end of the year 2003 you will have most or all the updates that would be in the 2004 version (correct me if I am wrong someone). But than you wont be receiving any more updates for 2004.

I believe by publishing a new flight guide every year they make sure everyone has the most recent information i.e. those that dont have the amendment service will also have to buy a new one. I think it is worth spending that little money at the beginning of the year and being sure that you have the most up-to-date flight guide for the rest of the year :cool:

A and C
28th Dec 2002, 10:55
When I started flying I did the poolys thing and found the whole thing to be a bit heath robinson.

The answer was the Jeppesen bottlang airfeild manual with the subscription you get 12 updates a year ,included in this is the special notes which in effect is a class 2 notam service.

Yes it is more expencive but as with all things in life you get what you pay for.

RW05
28th Dec 2002, 11:20
The update service is available free with the lose leaf versions of Pooleys, not the spiral bound, and only for the current year. If you buy a lose leaf one you should receive a form with it that you send back to Pooleys. If you've got the spiral bound one - it's cheaper and there is no update service. You can, however, look on the infamous NATS website and get all the up to date airfield/navaids info from the AIP. And it is free! I do frequently question my wisdom in spending thirty quid a year for something I only ever use to look up about three airfields.

Ian_Wannabe
28th Dec 2002, 15:42
Thanks for the replies everyone - I'll check out the NATS site

Happy new year!

Ian

Rod1
29th Dec 2002, 11:50
A and C,

I looked at Jeppesen bottling but it only seemed to have the larger airfields. As most of the fun is to be had visiting the smaller ones, it seemed a poor second. Has it got better in this respect?

Rod