PDA

View Full Version : Weight restrictions

FlyingForFun
27th Dec 2002, 16:42
Having just finished studying the notes for the ATPL Performance exams, I've got a pretty good idea of the theory behind restricting the weight of an aircraft for a specific flight. What I don't understand is how this would work from an operational point of view - it must be a nightmare?

Lets say an operator wants to operate a short route with short runways at both ends. I presume they would pick an aircraft with suitable performance, and possibly restrict the number of seats they sell if performance is still an issue. But I'd guess they'll want to fill as many seats as they can, for economic reasons. Then, on the day of the flight, all of the pax turn up with baggage which is at or near their limits, the temperatures are higher than normal, and there's a low-pressure weather system bringing heavy rain with it across the entire route. All the normal performance calculations are done, and you're a few hundred kilos overweight.

So now what? Off-load some pax? Off-load some baggage? I don't believe you could take less fuel... the poor weather would probably mean you'd need more, not less, fuel. What would actually happen in practice?

Or would the flight just be sufficiently undersold to ensure that this situation would never actually arise?

Cheers,

FFF
-------------

Knold
27th Dec 2002, 17:25
Off the bagage I'd say, or maybe offer bus or train tickets or even a flight ticket if any are available with another airline.

Firestorm
29th Dec 2002, 18:01
The company ops manual usually has a list of priorities for off loading things in such an event. Ultimately the Captain decides the max take off weight for the day, fuel load required (weather, alternates, etc), and everyone else has to decide how that is made up of pax, bags, post, other stuff.

It is quite a common thing at Sumburgh for both the ATPs and the Saabs. The company will sell as many tickets as it humanly can, and flights out of Sumburgh are quite often oversold by quite a few: in the old days it was common to be asked to take extras on the jump seat when oversold and conditions allowed. Most limiting factor there is wet runway conditions.

Tinstaafl
29th Dec 2002, 19:01
Different scenarios allow different options.

Does the company usually load extra fuel on this forthcoming sector to avoid refuelling at the next stop? If so then accepting a remote refuel is may be option.

Alternatively can less fuel than required for the sector be carried but replan in flight?

Is there freight that can be held back for a later flight?

Can one of the performance enhancing methods be used eg increased V2 or water/meths etc?

Can a different runway be requested, even if it isn't the one currently in use?

And the worst option of all!....

Are there ID90 sub-load staff that can be turfed off (my ever present fear when on holidays... :eek: )? :D

mr.777
29th Dec 2002, 19:43
AS Tinstaafl rightly says,top of the list for the chop are the old non-rev pax......especially if youre going anywhere on the A340(not the new -600 mind).
This a/c has been the bane of my life as far as travelling standby to or from places like CPT/JNB/HKG etc goes,where there is a big fuel load and s***loads of cargo.
As other ppruners have already mentioned,the final decision rests largely with the guys up front as to how much fuel/pax/cargo gets loaded and they usually consult with the dispatcher about this.
However,its usually ops who will impose the weight restriction itself which can be a result of any of the factors already mentioned in this thread i.e MEL,weather,performance etc.

FlyingForFun
30th Dec 2002, 10:01
Thanks guys - was a very slow day on Friday, hence the rather obscure questions! But it's interesting to hear how it works, and also to hear that it happens more often than I'd have imagined.

As always, you guys are a mine of useful (or useless!) information!

FFF
---------------

PS - Today's not looking to be much less slow than Friday, so stand by for more questions once my brain starts wandering!