PDA

View Full Version : Good navigation book?

Pilot16
27th Dec 2002, 02:50
Hi,
Can anyone please recommend me any good PPL Nav book that they found particularly useful.
Let me put it this way, is there a better, simple to understand, 'must-know-knowledge' nav book out there that is not the Trevor Thom one. The TT book seems to have a heaps of info in it to digest, escpecially for a young nav student :cool:

Thanks very much :cool:

P16

Kefuddle_UK
27th Dec 2002, 09:55
Working through the PPL Confuser questions will gel your knowledge pretty quickly.

ratsarrse
27th Dec 2002, 10:23
I agree that the subject seems a little overwhelming, but I found this book quite helpful: Practical Navigation - Martyn Smith.
It takes you through all the planning step by step for one flight. Explains how to do all the calculations and gives you the rules of thumb for doing quick and dirty mental calculations as well as helpful advice on how to become temporarily sure of your position...

Pilot16
27th Dec 2002, 16:45
Thanks very much for replying Kefuddle_UK & ratsarsse

There does not seem to be much of a selection on nav books
and 'Practical Navigation' book looks like a good one, together with your comments ratsarsse, I think Im going for one.

P16

FlyingForFun
27th Dec 2002, 16:50
I seem to recall finding the navigation exam one of the easier ones. The reason was because it was all stuff which I'd used in my practical flying. I'd gone over the techniques with my instructor, planned and flown real flights, and come across almost everything which is in the exam before even opening the book.

FFF
---------------