PDA

View Full Version : Virgin PAX Headsets

cb9002
26th Dec 2002, 12:43
I flew on a Virgin 744 the other day, and noticed the PAX IFE headsets in J-class used a 2-pin connector - a stereo 3.5mm jack and a mono 2.5mm jack. Since the headsets are ANR, they must need power in some form, so I'm guessing the 2.5mm jack supplies this as the ANR is only active when plugged in.

My question is, what voltage is the power, and across which pins is it supplied? Bose ANR uses 3.6V, Sony 2.4V but audio phantom power is usually 48V. I believe aviation DC is commonly 48V too, isn't it? By convention I imagine the power would be supplied between the tip and the ground, positive with respect to the tip, but could you also clarify this? I'd take my multimeter on baord, but cabin crew might not appreciate this!

Thanks

FlapsOne
26th Dec 2002, 13:55
Most aircraft DC supplies I have come across are 28v DC. Can't recall 48v anywhere.

Are PAX IFE headsets really ANR?

cb9002
26th Dec 2002, 14:15
I stand corrected on aircraft DC supplies!

The W/Y-class headsets are normal cheapo airline jobs. The J-classes get noise-cancelling headphones, and they work! They aren't as nice as the Bose Quietcomfort ones that Continental and co. let their F/J people use.