PDA

View Full Version : What aviation related pressie did santa bring you?

BRL
26th Dec 2002, 12:33
So what did you get to do with your flying? I reckon quite a few GPS things got opened..... :)

Andy_R
26th Dec 2002, 13:47
overlay for fs2002 from getmapping. No time to load it yet as I have been working the entire Xmas period but will let you all know just how (un) realistic it is!!! Haven't flown for ages, lets hope I can recognise Shoreham!!!!

Best wishes to all for 2003

Thumpango
26th Dec 2002, 17:46
I had a copy of the PPL Confuser!
got to get those exams cleared up this year.

aidanf
26th Dec 2002, 18:57
The missus got me Volume 3 of those 'Thom' series thing-a-me-bob books - the one on flight planning, chart-reading and stuff. I've taken a look at it a few times, but it's scared me right off going back to the lessons in January. It's now hidden under a cushion but I can still hear it laughing at me from here! - jeez, I though that once I'd nailed my circuits it would start getting easier - happy new year, indeed!!!!!

Select Zone Five
26th Dec 2002, 19:36
I got a £20 Transair voucher from my sister, that'll make the price of a CRP-5 a little less offensive...:)

Penguina
26th Dec 2002, 20:01
Ah, maybe one of you can help me. My other half hasn't got my Christmas prezzie yet and wants to get me something aviation related - I think he's going to sit me down with the Transair catalogue. He's asked me if there's anything I particularly need, but it's been so long since I flew :( that I can hardly think. When I let up, I was just about ready for the skill test once I'd completed the remaining exams. I'm hoping to finish off the PPL this year. Is there anything indispensible I can ask for?

This is a serious problem, you understand! :D

PeterJfrancis
26th Dec 2002, 21:40
I got the best pressie of all !

Permission from my Financial Advisor (Wife !) to start my NPPL !

First lesson is on 30th December, weather permitting, at Manston

Can't wait !

:)

Speedbird252
26th Dec 2002, 23:59
Pooleys 2003 Pilots Diary, and the Flying Legends 2003 Calender, a serious must have.

Same as last year actually!! (different year before someone bothers pointing it out...)

Happy holidays,

Speedy

:) :) :)

Wrong Stuff
27th Dec 2002, 00:40
Penguina...

How about a Bottlang or Pooleys - to whet your appetite for all those places you can go once you've passed the skills test. I really love sitting down of an evening and planning the flights I want to make when I've got enough time and the weather decides to cooperate. Having an airfield guide transforms the places from just circles on the map to real destinations - runways long enough for you to land on and airfield diagrams that you're going to have to taxi round without an instructor having shown you beforehand.

Alternatively, depending on how adventurous you are, how about a Delage and a Pilote Plus??

Cheers,
Wrong Stuff

charlie-india-mike
27th Dec 2002, 07:22
I got lots of aviation related books and a new flight bag from Mrs CIM and a few other bits and bobs from Miss CIM. Oh! and a nice warm wolly hat to wear whils walking across the field to the aircraft.

The CAA santa didn't deliver my shiny new 'document' though but I didn't really expect him to. I suppose they have to have some time off as well.

Happy New year to all

TheKentishFledgling
27th Dec 2002, 08:18
Amongst a few other little flying things, I got the book "Be a Better Pilot". I'm quite a few chapters in, and it's great.

There's also "Make Better Landings" in the series, which I could buy with a Waterstones voucher I got.

First lesson is on 30th December, weather permitting, at Manston

PeterJ - I'm a PPL student at Manston, so I'll likely see you around at the club :cool:

tKF

stiknruda
27th Dec 2002, 11:04
Aviation related - just the ubiquitous hang-over.

That and a thoroughly soggy strip has prevented me from flying much overthe hols...

Stik

ChampChump
27th Dec 2002, 14:48
The only thing on my list: a gap in the weather that saw me airborne, triumphant (choirs in the head competing with the Stamo up front), joyous and grateful to something Higher perhaps. The best christmas Day ever.

MLS-12D
27th Dec 2002, 20:00
I was given a copy of "Every Man a Tiger: Mock-Combat Flying Techniques for Light Aircraft", by Frank O'Brien (Ziff-Davis Publishing Co., 1981).

Anyone up for a dogfight? :D

AerBabe
27th Dec 2002, 21:48
None ... so far ... but there is still time!

LowNSlow
28th Dec 2002, 06:38
I got Combat Flight Sim 3 from Mrs. LNS. Unfortunately, some lowlife had swapped the discs inside for CFS 2. Rotten sods.

knobbygb
28th Dec 2002, 13:22
I got a note from the postman saying there's a package from the CAA waiting to be collected. Damn, mustn't have heard him knock. It's annoying to know that after so many months of waiting I was within 10 feet of my license and still haven't got it :mad: :eek: Can't collect it until Monday now so I'm thinking of going breaking into the sorting office tonight... ;)

AerBabe
28th Dec 2002, 13:36
Nah, it will probably be your passport. The licence will take another 2 months to arrive ;)

Miss Bigglesworth
28th Dec 2002, 14:26
Another aeroplane keyring (how many can one person have?)

And a book called "Air Disasters". I think perhaps Santa has seen my flying.

Hehe.

SuperOwl
28th Dec 2002, 19:03
After my David Busst type injury on the tennis court a while ago and the subsequent rehab, I finally got my Class 2 Medical. I never thought I would get one.

Best Christmas present I could wish for let me tell you. Circuit bashing here I come!:D :D

Happy New Year all!

vancouv
30th Dec 2002, 11:40
I got a GPS, and so far I have managed to confirm that my front room is actually in the town I thought it was - smack bang in Gatwick's area, so hopefully I won't be seeing the same thing when flying!!!!!!

Looking out the window now, it seems like it will be a long time before I get to use it in anger............

Kolibear
2nd Jan 2003, 09:24
A 2003 VFR Flight Guide.

So now I can sit & dream about all the places to visit.

It was the one that comes with 5 free landings and last year, I never managed to use any of them, even though one was just up the road and the other was next door to the in-laws.

Wycombe
2nd Jan 2003, 10:09
A flying budget for 2003 would have been good !! - some hope with the way the US/UK stockmarkets look now and are likely to stay for 2003 :(

Oh well, with the weather the way it is in the Southern UK at the moment, it looks like I'd be better off saving my pennies for now anyway.

The Clubs/GA airfields must really be struggling.

eveepee
2nd Jan 2003, 13:19
A 2002 VFR Flight Guide courtesy of Kolibear...well he now has the 2003 edition. At least I can try and decipher what it all means before I need to use it for real .... Oh, and a very basic hand held Flight Sim thingy from a "friend" who has obviously been watching my landings.:D

Grim Reaper 14
2nd Jan 2003, 14:38
A book called, "The Killing Zone" about pilots inadvertently killing themselves for a multitude of reasons. A useful read.......

Fly Stimulator
2nd Jan 2003, 15:12
I was looking the summary of "The Killing Zone" on Amazon today. It said that it's the first 250 hours which are the most dangerous.

I'm sure I've heard elsewhere that it's actually the period between about 200 and 500 hours that sees the most accidents, the reasoning being that for the first couple of hundred hours you realise how little you know and take extra care. After two or three hundred hours you start to think that you've got the hang of it and get complacent.

The second theory actually sounds more convincing. Does anyone know the actual stats?

skua
2nd Jan 2003, 16:19
CFS 3 - from my son - who has been playing it more often than me (obviously)
Pooleys 2003 - (boringly similar to 2002)
Navbox Proplan (after advice from these pages)
Destination Disaster

Since I am in the same "boat" so to speak as Stik n R (EGTO) - it looks like I will have plenty of opportunity to play with all three!

Simon W
3rd Jan 2003, 09:03
I got a Garmin Pilot III GPS (well, it was actually a present to myself). Apart from that nothing else aviation related :(

vancouv
3rd Jan 2003, 15:41
I've got 'The Killing Zone' and it is an excellent book - every pilot should read it.

kabz
3rd Jan 2003, 23:18
I got an hour in a pa38, up in Inverness. Thanks to all involved !!!