PDA

View Full Version : IFR West Adventure

VORTIME
23rd Dec 2002, 22:00
Hello!

I have been looking at differnet places to do my IFR rating and found this website:
http://www.ifrwest.com

It's a 25-hour 5,000nm IR in a C182RG with TCAS/GNS-530 etc. Has anyone every tried this company/adventure before or have any freeback on flying from Middleton WI to the west coast and back?

Any feedback appreciated.

Regards
VT

Keef
23rd Dec 2002, 22:44
Sounds nice - but you will need to do a lot of instrument approaches for the IR (well, I did) and I'm not sure of the value of cruising 5,000 miles while doing that.

There IS a cross-country element, but I did that in one day.

And a Skylane RG is expensive - you don't need to do the IR on a retractable: I did most of mine on Warriors and Archers.

Nice if you have the time and money, I'd say.

slim_slag
23rd Dec 2002, 22:52
Keef, what you say is true, but he wants you to have 15 hours doing the procedural stuff before he takes you on. You can learn the basics in how to fly an approach on any old plane with any old instructor.

What you get from your 5000 miles is the experience of sitting next to a damned good instructor in the IFR system. Just watching how he does things when he isn't formally teaching you will make you a far better and confident pilot. I am sure he also has some valuable tricks to help you with the approaches etc which your initial instructor didn't tell you or know.

If you have the money, you should do it. He is expensive because he is good and the market will pay for that experience. Those fresh instructors who complain because they don't get paid what they think they are worth should take note.