PDA

View Full Version : QF allows ATC cockpit famil

Duff Man
22nd Dec 2002, 20:25
Top marks to the people with Airservices and Qantas who have reinstated an ATC cockpit familiarisation program. Previous discussions in this forum seem to indicate it is sorely needed. It will be good to see you again.

Perhaps some comment from the drivers on the aircraft and routing where such famil would be beneficial? It's presently only available for same-day return journey only.

No Further Requirements
22nd Dec 2002, 23:14
Great news! Hopefully this offer will be taken up by all ATCers and used as an opportunity to get to know what it's like 'on the other side.' In the same fashion, I hope we see more pilots plugging in with us for a couple of hours to see what it's like for us. Let's use this offer to better the relationship and lose some of this 'them and us' syndrome. A great move by all involved and I'm sure it will be a great forum to discuss procedures and operations with the people who know it the best - the coal face workers! Again, great news and I hope it works out to be a mutually beneficial arrangement. BTW, what will be the procedure for obtaining a famil ride? Cheers,

NFR.

Keg
23rd Dec 2002, 12:23
Great news all round. I'd be interested to know how this was broadcast. We've seen nothing in recent times about it (or I'm not reading the stuff in my mail box well enough which is entirely possible point of view! ;) ).

No doubt a lot can be learned by both sides.

willadvise
23rd Dec 2002, 18:34
E for effort I'd say.

Still not allowing overnights. Is ASA going to give anyone the day off for a famil or do they expect us to do it in our own time. If they allowed us a night or two we would do this is our own time and with a much higher uptake. Is a freebie once or twice a year to help relations, to much to ask? This is the same reason why you rarely see a pilot in the centre. Airlines don't give working time for pilots to go. Who in there right mind is going to "go to work" on there day off.

Moby58
24th Dec 2002, 07:28
Well, Will Advise,

I have done a fair bit of stuff relating to work in my own time.

Sometimes the benefits outway the few dollars I would have been paid if in AA time.

However, I do understand it is each and every controller and pilot's decisiion on what they do out of hours.

I am not saying you are wrong, I am saying I aint out of my mind.

Well, that's what the voices tell me anyway :D

drshmoo
30th Dec 2002, 09:53
Good work from bith sides. Very healthy. Whilst at uni I did some work experience at ATC in sydney at the Enroute control and in the tower and found it very fascinating. Great to see what happens on the other side of the microphone. Good for airmanship on both sides.:)