PDA

View Full Version : Existing CAA PPL Thinking About Applying for NPPL (not me!)

Circuit Basher
20th Dec 2002, 15:10
I was at a Club meeting last night and was talking to a member of our group who holds a CAA PPL and is just turned 40. He was thinking of applying for NPPL (my original thread title included the word 'downgrading', but being aware of sensitivities in this area, I removed the word!).

The primary reason is the JAR Medical costs / frequency (he also holds an HGV). I suggested that he might find the limitations (no IMC / Night, no overseas and I wasn't too sure off the top of my head whether it excluded complex types) a bit restrictive and he wavered on that. He did seem surprised when I expressed the opinion that I would expect the CAA to tip his wallet upside down and empty it if ever he wished to get back to the status of a 'full' JAR PPL.

I'm not an expert on the NPPL, but would take it that if he allowed his CAA PPL to lapse by more than 5 years, then it would be treated as a new start / NPPL conversion.

Or am I just woofing at the incorrect arborial structure??!! ;)

Other than that, Happy Xmas all (and thanks for the !EXCELLENT moderation, BRL!!).

BEagle
20th Dec 2002, 15:36
1. To hold a NPPL (SEP), he'd need to pay the lifetime issue cost and hold the relevant medical declaration. See www.nppl.uk.com .

2. Then to regain his lapsed PPL SEP Class Rating, he'd merely need to obtain a JAR Class 2 medical and to complete a SEP renewal proficiency check with a UK/FE(PPL). Probably less than £100 plus ac hire. If it has lapsed by more than 5 years, the CAA would need the renewal paperwork and a licence variation fee would also be payable - an extra £65-ish.

If you are able to meet JAR Class 2 medical standards and are an existing 'lifetime' UK PPL holder (or '5 year' JAR/FCL PPL holder), it's probably simpler to accept the increased medical requirements and hang on to your PPL rather than switch to a NPPL particularly if you have a 'lifetime' UK PPL.

StrateandLevel
22nd Dec 2002, 22:31
If your UK/JAA PPL holder obtains a NPPL and maintains his SEP rating there is nothing to stop him also obtaining a Certificate of Revalidation for his UK/JAA PPL even though he does not hold a valid medical certificate!

To reactivate his UK/JAA PPL all he has to do is to go get a Class 2 Medical Certificate.

If he holds a JAA licence then he would have to have a valid medical at the 5 year point in order to have the licence re-issued.