PDA

View Full Version : smoking in the cockpit

wingtip777
20th Dec 2002, 11:00
is smoking in the cockpit alowed by your company? i think sometimes it is safer to let the long-time smokers to smok. and i don`t see any benifit of not alowing smoking.

411A
20th Dec 2002, 14:23
In the "good 'ole days", many pilots smoked like chimneys in the front office. This began to die away (thankfully) in the early ninetys.

Recall a few years ago was assigned a rather long flight, and the First Officer showed up in dispatch, and in the space of five minutes had smoked two, and was lighting up a third.

Suggested that, in view that two others up front were not smokers, he should excuse himself and go aft (smoking still allowed by pax with this airline) and light up to his hearts content.

His only comment was...."'tis my right to smoke whereever I like".

A call to the Dir Flight Ops (a non-smoker and one of the best guys I have ever worked for) produced the same comments...to the boss.

The First Officer in question was terminated and sent packing the very next day, back to the airline from which he came (was seconded from another...)

Bad idea to tell the boss how to run the show.:rolleyes:

Lu Zuckerman
20th Dec 2002, 16:08
Many years ago while in service I hitched a ride on an USAF C-47. The Pilot came aft to have smoke and relieve himself. He noticed that I had an aviation rate and asked if I would like to go forward and sit in the left-hand seat. I went forward and sat down and buckled up and noticed that the co-pilot was a second lieutenant most likely just out of flight school as he didn’t look any older that me. He lit up a cigarette and before taking the first puff the engines started running rough. He had forgotten to switch fuel tanks. He took a long drag on the cigarette and started reaching for the fuel selector valves which were located on the cockpit floor next to his seat. He switched tanks and every thing returned to normal. And then he exhaled filling the small cockpit area with smoke. The cigarette was one half ash.

:D

Remmington
20th Dec 2002, 16:36
Can I believe what I'm reading....wimpy goody two shoes and toadies.....couldn't anyone speak their minds, call a Mayday and crash dive to the nearest runway requesting police & SAS attendance...throw in a few SAR helios for good lack...
Happy Xmas

Slasher
21st Dec 2002, 00:17
Yeh smokings alowed in our cockpit but none of our FOs smoke. I gave up a few years ago. Only cig I cant give up is that magical post-coital one (I empty a single pack of Marlboros every 5 years!)

Anyway I usualy let the stews up for a fix. It lessens the potential for bitchyness down the back. Some of the more rabid anti-smoking FOs wind up the cabin a thousand feet when shes halfway through then returns it to the nominal cab altitude at 200-300fpm on the standby system. Quite effective really.

Smoking I dont mind. FARTING is a no-no! ;)