PDA

View Full Version : Different licenses

Lump Jockey
19th Dec 2002, 21:22
Could someone please give me the correct descriptions of what the different licenses entail/allow you to do? Eg. the PPL, known to all, is the basic pilots license, doesn't allow you to do too much, but with the IMC rating, IR, ME.....(this is where you're supposed to jump in!)
What is the differences between the ATPL and CPL too? Can you have one without the other and still fly pax in airliners? Could a captain have a "lesser" license than the copilot? How comes you see pilots that have a CPL with IR? I thought, (excuse my ignorance!) that the CPL was the dog's danglies and allowed you to fly in any Wx? Or am I just a "durr-brain"?
Thanks for all info!:)

slim_slag
19th Dec 2002, 22:22
Eg. the PPL, known to all, is the basic pilots license, doesn't allow you to do too much,

Sure it does, you just cannot be paid to fly. If you pass the right tests, in the US you can pilot a 747 with only a private pilots licence (which in the US is called a certificate).

I doubt you would get insurance :D

Mark 1
20th Dec 2002, 12:11
PPL - Private flights only, no public transport, no aerial work, no hire or reward. Exemptions to aerial work allowed for instructing, glider towing & 1 or 2 other things.

CPL - Any purpose except as pilot in command of a multi-crew aircraft.

ATPL - No restrictions (provided its legal)

Class ratings, type ratings and instrument ratings can be applied equally to any of the licence types

Dufwer
20th Dec 2002, 12:28
An IR gives you the license to fly in almost any weather, subject to aircraft equipement, performance, minimums, etc, not the CPL. A CPL allows you to be paid for flying.

FlyingForFun
20th Dec 2002, 17:00
Mark 1 is, I think, pretty much spot on. Except for the fairly irrelevant point that you can fly as pilot in command of a multi-crew aircraft on a CPL, but only if it's a private flight. Anyone know anyone who does that regularly? Nope, me neither! :D

FFF
-----------

Lump Jockey
20th Dec 2002, 17:15
ok, thanx. but why do you see CPLs with the IR as an addition? isn't the CPL included with instrument rating? what about the ATPL, does this need a seperate IR or is the license got it in already? What would I need if I wanted to fly for one of the majors for example? (CPL or ATPL, and would I need a seperate IR with either or both?) Hope you understand, it's hard to explain when you're ignorant to the facts!:o
and how can you fly a 747 in the US without a ME?

Genghis the Engineer
20th Dec 2002, 17:27
I think the issue on CPL .v. ATPL is passenger carrying beyond a certain number (19?). Many test pilots only hold CPLs and routinely command multi-crew aircraft in the flight test environment - but no passengers !

G

slim_slag
20th Dec 2002, 18:11
Anyone know anyone who does that regularly?

John Travolta?

95% of flights in the US are Part 91.

lump jockey

Here is a fun read about a GA pilot getting a 737 type rating (http://www.avweb.com/articles/737typed/)