PDA

View Full Version : Lufthansa "Vortex" callsign?

Lump Jockey
19th Dec 2002, 17:36
Hi all. Does anyone on the list know as to why DLH use sometimes the word "vortex" after their flight number? I would assume it to be because of the size of a/c.....but as I've heard them high-flying across the UK on their way to the US, it obviously ain't nothing to do with wake or spacing for landing?! Help please!

Go-Around
20th Dec 2002, 12:40
The only time I've heard "Vortex" used is by the Royal Air Force. I think one of the Puma Sqns based a Benson uses it as their callsign.

almost professional
20th Dec 2002, 13:38
vortex is normally an RAF chinook callsign

Duke of Burgundy
20th Dec 2002, 14:57
Lump Jockey - Many years ago the suffix "Vortex" when appended to an aircraft`s call-sign indicated that the aircraft fell into the Heavy category in terms of vortex wake separation requirements.

As I am sure you know nowadays the word "Heavy" itself is used. Therefore I suggest that you may have been listening to a very old pilot.
:) :)

Lump Jockey
20th Dec 2002, 18:56
This wasn't that long ago. Like I said, it weren't on finals, but in the cruise/en route. They obviously were heavies but it baffles me why they used it! (Hmm, baffled, eh!)

Viggie Driver
23rd Dec 2002, 20:39
Vortex is XXsqn Chinook callsign (not going to post the sqn number) - i have heard it used often enough