PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a fav book????

sbaywatch
19th Dec 2002, 12:54
Excluding the Thom / Pratt books plus "Stick and Rudder" what other books have assisted you with your flying.

I'm sure you must have that one book which is read more than others.

Very general question I know, but I have Amazon in my favourites and a credit card that needs to be used (just don't tell my girlfriend !)

I must admit, the first book I read was "Stick and Rudder" and that certainly made the 1st Thom book a lot easier to understand.

regards
Simon

FlyingForFun
19th Dec 2002, 12:59
The Compleat Taildragger by Harvey S. Plourde.

Superb book. Diagrams to explain everything. Goes into a huge amount of detail without getting too technical. All the maths of how things like P-Factor works is shunted off to an Appendix so you can study it at leasure without it interfering with reading the book if you're that way inclined. Almost all of my knowledge of the theory of flying taildraggers comes from that book.

FFF
--------------

Evo
19th Dec 2002, 13:23
I'll go for Antoine de Saint-Exupery's Wind, Sand and Stars. Not directly useful like FFF's choice and you've banned Stick'n'Rudder, but it helped me keep enthusiasm during the time when the weather was crap and the best thing I could say about my landings was that I didn't break the aeroplane...

For something more practical, I'd go for Barnard and Philpott's Aircraft Flight. Great book.

Genghis the Engineer
19th Dec 2002, 13:32
"Pilots Weather", Brian Cosgrove.

"A gift of Wings", Richard Bach.

"Flying Qualities and Flight Testing of the Aeroplane", Darrol Stinton

G

Fly Stimulator
19th Dec 2002, 13:39
An excellent on-line resource is John Denker's "See How It Flies" at http://www.monmouth.com/~jsd/how/htm/how.html

Since you've read "Stick and Rudder" you'll see that he builds upon many of the concepts from there, though with somewhat more technical detail, as well as being a much more recent work.

You might find it useful to help you understand the reasons behind some of the things which your future instructors will be telling you to do, though don't be too alarmed at some of the more esoteric bits - you don't need to have a degree in aeronautical engineering in order to get a PPL!

And it's free.

Monocock
19th Dec 2002, 13:44
I know it's not an educational book but if you want an excellent book buy...."A flight of passage" by Rinker Buck.

I read it about a year ago and havent found anything to beat it yet. It's about a couple of young brothers who get into flying at a young age and decide to fly a restored cub from coast to coast (USA). Some funny bits, some moving bits and some awe inspiring flying by two young lads. It's also a true story which does help.

essouira
19th Dec 2002, 13:47
My choices are a bit old but often off my bookshelf for reference -

"Flight without formulae" by AC Kermode - explains all the theoryof flight in a really practical way and kept me sane when I was struggling with my CPL exams

and ......................

"Fly for Fun" Bill Thomas - is the best ever practical book on aerobatics that I have ever seen by a guy who, when my edition was published in 1985, already had 8000 hours of aerobatic instruction

Don't spend all your money on Amazon - don't forget to save some for flying !

Fly Stimulator
19th Dec 2002, 13:52
Oh, and "Propellerhead" by Antony Woodward.

The story of one man's lengthy quest to learn to fly in order impress women with his Thruster.

Very funny book, sprinkled with a lot of wonderful quotes from other aviation works.

Monocock
19th Dec 2002, 14:59
I agree, Propellorhead is fantastically funny and a story told in such a way there is more than one occasion when you will think you could well be the character

Aerobatic Flyer
19th Dec 2002, 15:08
Genghis beat me to it with "A Gift of Wings", which is superb.

Here are some others. None of them are educational in the Trevor Thom style, but I have learnt something from all of them:

"Airborne" by Neil Williams. Out of print. It's a series of shortish articles mostly written for magazines and it is quite brilliant. (If anyone knows where one can buy this book, please let me know. I have a friend who has been desperate to buy a copy ever since borrowing mine!)

"Biplane", "Nothing by Chance" and "Stranger to the Ground", all by Richard Bach. Biplane is the story of flying a 1929 biplane (surprisingly!) from the US East coast to California. "Nothing by Chance" is about life as a latter-day barnstormer in the same biplane. Stranger to the Ground is the story of one short flight from the UK to France in a fighter jet.

"Aerobatics" by Neil Williams. It's a bit dated, but I like it!

Another dated but good one is "Flying Airplanes, the first 100 hours" by Peter Garrison, aimed at the newly licensed pilot.

Ace Rimmer
19th Dec 2002, 15:15
Yep concur FS and Monocock both top books but I'd also add Cannibal Queen by Steven Coonts (the techno thriller guy) bascially he sets off on a quest to fly the lower 48 in his Stearman one summer not educational per se but still a great feel good read.

Whirlybird
19th Dec 2002, 15:49
Since we seem to have got on to enjoyable books about flying rather than just strictly educational books on passing your PPL (and why not), I'd suggest the following:

Talk Down, by Brian Lecomber (out of print, but fairly easy to pick up second hand)
Fate is the Hunter, by Ernest K Gann
Great Flying Stories, edited by Frederick Forsyth

Now if you want to know anything about helicopter flying....

sunday driver
19th Dec 2002, 17:15
"The Sky Beyond" by Gordon Taylor.
Autobiographical, about his flights with Kingsford-Smith (GT was the guy who transferred engine oil from one Tri-motor engine to the other using a thermos flask while in flight). It then covers his route proving flights accross the Pacific and Indian Oceans. His descriptions of long over-water flights have no equal, and there's a thrilling bit about saving his water-bound Cat from typhoons.
My copy's an old paperback from Bantam.

javelin
20th Dec 2002, 08:50
Aircraft Spruce catalogue - great bedtime reading

Cannibal Queen - Steven Coonts - story of him flying a Stearman round the USA. In contrast to his novels about A6's (flight of the Intruder)

Flights of Passage - Samuel Hynes, guy's tale of his draft and flying during WW2 - easy read.

Flight Unlimited - Eric Mueller - explains lots about stunting and bunting.

Emergency, Crisis on the Flightdeck - Stanley Stewart, excellent collection of Oh MY God type short stories, all factual about flying incidents.

Surely You Must Be Joking Mr Feynman - Richard Feynman. Barking mad bongo playing physicist who brings passion to an extraordinary life story.

Lots more, but I can't read the titles 'cos their all on the top shelf :D

Dufwer
20th Dec 2002, 09:54
Reach for the Sky, The Story of Douglas Bader - Helped me to decide at age fourteen what I wanted to do with my life.

Ian_Wannabe
20th Dec 2002, 19:31
Not that these books helped me in any way when doing my PPL, they inspired me more than helped but they make good reading anyway. I recommend them to anyone and everyone :)

"Sigh for a Merlin " and ".Flight of the Mew Gull " - Both exellent books by Alex Henshaw which were kindly given to me as gifts by a great freind Les Bellion who passed on some months ago.

I still treasure them as two of the best things I have today

henchman
21st Dec 2002, 14:19
The classic 'Sagittarius Rising' by Cecil Lewis; 'Goshawk Squadron' by Derek Robinson; 'England have my Bones' by T.H.White and 'A Rabbit in the Air' are all back to the first world war and the early days of flying.

Would welcome any views or the names books of a similar nature that would add to the pleasure that those named have given.

24Right
21st Dec 2002, 18:36
A really inspiring book (and a thumping good read but with some interesting tips) is 'Think Like A Bird' by Alex Kimbell.:cool:

TheKentishFledgling
21st Dec 2002, 18:36
I'd second both Flight of the Mew Gull and Aerobatics (Neil Williams).

Also, Rufus Remembers is the autobiography of a friend of mine, and it covers the action he saw in WWII right up to the modern day as a CFI.
Well worth reading, if you can.

tKF

Wireless
22nd Dec 2002, 13:16
"Six Feet Over- The pleasures and perils of areal crop spraying" by Peter Charles.

I only hope that I can lead a life as adventurous as this guy. A very honest book with an easy to read, amiable style to it.

Bill

Monocock
22nd Dec 2002, 20:38
Can I recommend a seriously good book........

A STANDARD PILOTS NOTES by Nigel Hamlyn-Wright.

If you can find a copy I will applaud you.......

If you can say you don't enjoy it, you shouldn't be flying.

This book has no ISBN but I'm happy to help you contact the author

sunday driver
23rd Dec 2002, 11:40
Henchman

Since you have a taste for WW1 stuff, try "Winged Victory" by V. M. Yeates. It's semi-autobiographical, with war-weary cynicism. Vivid accounts of the experience of flying the scouts of the time, together with clear description of what it really means to "lose your bottle".

spittingimage
23rd Dec 2002, 15:47
A good inspiring read is 'Alone in the Sky' by the late Jean Batten, recounting, inter alia, her epic England to South America record flight in the 1930s.

Thus inspired, I read and many times re-read also 'Ocean Flying' by Louise Sacchi, a rather more practical book on the topic of long distance ocean crossings. Nevertheless, very readable and informative.

Thus inspired and informed, I went and did it .......... !

Hen Ddraig
24th Dec 2002, 13:18
For a little laughter in your life I would thoroughly recommend

Fly Yellow Side Up
Pie in the Sky
Derry Air
The flying circus
Cockpit follies

all by Garth Wallace and published by happy landings

tales based on reality of flying instructors and flying schools

;)

martinbakerfanclub
24th Dec 2002, 16:30
A few books mentioned so far i would also have recommended, namely "a gift of wings" and "sun moon and stars"

However, may i heartilly endorse.....Chuck Yeager, his autobiography; a truly entertaining book that touches the reader on many, many levels. I admit the chap is my all time hero, but i recommend the book highly for its sheer honesty and integrity of writing.

Furthermore, in the vein of honesty of prose and feeling, Chickenhawk by Robert Mason is regarded as a startling book by all who read it. Should be compulsory for all those who wish for an aviation career in any armed service......just to let you see how Fecked up things can get in a shooting war.

Merry christmas all when it comes tomorrow, and safe flying in '03.

MBFC

RiskyRossco
26th Dec 2002, 08:31
Books, from early on I was an avid flying nut. Inevitably, Richard Bach was the second inspiration. I confess to a Biggles' fan. After that, has to be Ernest K. Gann. "Islands in the sky" was another, in the vein of "Fate.."
Try to find these:

1. Man with one eye. - bio of Mick Mannock. WW1.
2. Bridge across the sky. - Richard Collier, great tribute to the Berlin Airlift.
3. Great Flights. - Norman McMillan, from early balloon flight (1908) to Mercury.
4. Gunship: Spectre of death. - Henry Zeybel. Totally hilarious take on Spec Ops AC-130s in SEA T/O. Simply written and doesn't lose it's appeal 2nd 0r 3rd time. Part of a trio I acquired.

Mostly, they inspired with the reality of flying in various eras, weathers and terrains I'll never see.

Anybody wants one of the above I'm open.

.. last post on book titles;

Man with one eye should read
Ace with one eye.

TheKentishFledgling
26th Dec 2002, 08:41
You've reminded my Risky - the Biggles books were (are?) always a laf!
;)

tKF

dirkdj
26th Dec 2002, 09:04
Here's one book I recommend to those with at least a couple hundred hours experience:

'Inside the sky' by William Langewiesche (son of..)
ISBN 0-679-75007-X

'The most eloquent meditation on our place (in the sky) since de Saint-Exupéry' - San Francisco Chronicle

AfricanEagle
26th Dec 2002, 18:13
As well as all the above mentioned (Stick & Rudder -all Richard Bach's flying books, Brian Lecomber's three novels) I suggest "Open Cockpit over Africa" by Victor Smith, one of the pioneers of Africain air-routes in the early thirties.

Fascinating reading. And to think us modern pilots get all excited about a two hour flight with VOR, NDB & GPS. Try flying across Africa Capetown to London with just a compass, at night, in a single engine open cockpit aeroplane!

AE

TheKentishFledgling
26th Dec 2002, 19:38
Fascinating reading. And to think us modern pilots get all excited about a two hour flight with VOR, NDB & GPS. Try flying across Africa Capetown to London with just a compass, at night, in a single engine open cockpit aeroplane!

Flight of the Mew Gull is definately worth a read as well then ;)

tKf

QDMQDMQDM
26th Dec 2002, 22:00
'Bird of the Islands' by Gordon Taylor. WW1 pilot, co-pilot of Kingsford-Smith and in the 50s he bought a Short Sandringham flying boat (ultimate derivative of the Sunderland) and ran luxury aerial cruises round the South Pacific, landing in genuinely uncharted places.

Extraordinary.

QDM

P.S. Here it is at www.abe.com:
http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/BookSearchPL?an=taylor&tn=bird%20of%20the%20islands&ph=2&sn=&imageField.y=10&imageField.x=25

RiskyRossco
27th Dec 2002, 06:43
tKF?
Funny thing, the complete set of Biggles. in paperback, came through a local auction house.
(.. and I didn't buy because..?)

Thanks to all for your contributions, I'll definitely be adding to my library.

TheKentishFledgling
27th Dec 2002, 08:14
Funny thing, the complete set of Biggles. in paperback, came through a local auction house.

Shame, I reckon they'll be pretty valuable some day.

I think were 99 written, and about 20 of them are VERY hard to get hold of.

tKF

(Think I've read about 50 of them :rolleyes: )

mixturelean
30th Dec 2002, 20:09
Hi folks,
Two good books I've read lately are 'God is my co-pilot' by Robert L. Scott - not a religious book as the title would suggest, but a brilliant read about an American pilot in WWII flying Spitfires etc. in China. (I think Scott is still alive - aged about 94 or 95).
The second is a book called 'Chickenhawk' , about a Hughie pilot during Vietnam war.
Both books are true stories and autobiographies - highly recommended.

Mixturelean.