PDA

View Full Version : Birmingham Flying

flyingwelshman
19th Dec 2002, 11:58
Morning all,

Sorry if I have posted this in the wrong forum, been I while since I was last here! :cool:

I have just moved to Birmingham, and almost live in the city center. I used to fly at East Midlands and also in Scotaland but would like to know of a good friendly flying club nearer home. Of cource I will vist and look round any where before parting with any cash - just wanted to know if anyone had any top locations??? Wheres good?? Friendly?? reasonable rates???

Thanks all

poetpilot
19th Dec 2002, 12:54
Hi there.... can't comment on anything east of Brum but can on points north & west of it.

West ..... Wolverhampton aka Halfpenny green that was..... sadly it's getting more expensive and pretentious, but a couple of schools are there. Wouldnt be my first choice though.

Cosford - RAF though there is a group of civvies that fly from there and there's rumours it's opening up for more civilian operations soon...

Sleap .... maybe a bit too far but a good club with good selection of a/c for hire at reasonable rates.

Nice little strip just north of Telford if you are into strip flying and are reasonably well experienced (email me on [email protected] for details)

North.....

Tatenhill is worth checking out. Again, a reasonable fleet at reasonable rates on a reasonable ex-military airfield.

On balance I'd probably go for Tatenhill but that's just me. Sounds like you ought to check these out and see how they match to your requirements.

Good Luck!

AerBabe
19th Dec 2002, 13:29
I know a nice, friendly flying group based at Coventry, with some of the cheapest prices in the area, and good aircraft availability. Better not name it here, but let me know if you want any info!

Malcolm G O Payne
19th Dec 2002, 20:41
I believe that the Birmingham based flying schools have amalgamated with Wellesbourne Aviation at Welesbourne MOuntford. I have a declared interest as I work the tower occasinally, but I think you would like it there. There are four fixed-wing schools and a helicopter school resident.

matspart3
19th Dec 2002, 21:45
Bit further down the M5, but with a wealth of facilities, clubs groups etc. is Gloucestershire Airport...email me if you want any further info