PDA

View Full Version : Business or Pleasure?

woodey
18th Dec 2002, 13:51
So GA private pilots fly planes for a hobby.........but how many of us use our hobby to facilitate our work, for example flying to a business meeting or living one place and commuting to work in the hairyplane? And how many of us only ever fly for fun with family and friends on the weekends? And how many do a bit of both??

Eh, sorry boss, late for work cos' the cessna wouldn't start!:D

Woodey

slim_slag
18th Dec 2002, 14:44
People think they will be able to use their light single and PPL for business/commuting, but in reality it doesn't happen much. It's not a case of the engine not starting, more like the weather is unsuitable. If you put yourself in the situation where you really need to get to a meeting and your plane cannot handle ice you are eventually going to kill yourself.

Some people do it, but they are the exception. If you need to reliably fly from A->B you should take an airline.

rotorboater
18th Dec 2002, 16:05
I managed to convice my wife that I bought my helicopter because it will be a great business tool and I got away with it, She believed me!
I haven't actually managed to make 1 meeting in it this year due to weather, caa, lack of landing facilities, timing etc. But, I still have the helicopter and she hasn't noticed, (Yet)!

Flyboy-F33
20th Dec 2002, 08:46
I live in the south and occaisionally have to travel to the north on business. If the weather looks okay, I fly up. This week I went to Leeds, it was either 4 hours each way by car, or 1 hr 5mins in the plane....no contest. I suppose I have used it about 5 times on business this year and the real bonus is that the company pics up the fuel bill and landing fees.

Final 3 Greens
20th Dec 2002, 09:45
I endorse slim slag's view.

Davidt
20th Dec 2002, 13:40
Do about 20 hours a year out of @150 on business

Beats the hell out of the train or motorway from one end of Country to the other + it can be comperable cost wise with more that one of you in the plane + I take staff with me to see clients its a real jolly for them.

Rotor- got one on you, took the Missus to the NEC last year and her business paid! :)

Happy xmas fly safe.

Tee
20th Dec 2002, 20:22
Flew to a meeting once as a new PPL but couldn't concentrate because I spent the whole day watching clouds gather and wondering if I would get home. Had to rush off at the end to beat the weather, rather than stay to chat informally with the others (the essential networking bit of a business meeting!!). Quite an expensive day, taking into account the aircraft hire and a taxi to/from the airfield. Had to have a plan B which involved leaving home very early in case I had to drive. Not very successful really, but at least I got there.

PS And you don't half look stupid getting out of a C152 in a business suit, with a briefcase!!

formationfoto
21st Dec 2002, 13:03
Some valid points here about both the 'meeting imperative' getting in the way of appropriate aviation safety related issues and the lack of focus on aviation issues when thinking about business issues.

Personally I have achieved this quite a bit although I have often made an early decision to go by public transport only to find the weather conditions expected where more benign than forecast and I have missed th opportunity for a pleasant trip part paid by the business.

Living in Norfolk and having business interests across the UK flying is a sensible option and public transport is not always cheaper or quicker.

Recently had to do Norwich to Folkestone, a journey I had done (via Lydd) with ease previously. By train it was no cheaper and took nine hours of travelling time.

Similarly board meetings in Cheltenham and Preston seem to cry out for travel by Formationfoto-air.

One precaution I do take is to share the flying with a friend as often as possible. He flies there (whilst I am thinking about the business meeting) and I fly back. This removes many of the downsides and he gets some free flying.

Have managed to fly Seething to Audley End a few times in the Jodel to visit the PILOT offices. Not really justifiable in commercial terms but it hels to arrive fresh and to llok down on others making the same journey by car along the A14.

gra
23rd Dec 2002, 09:33
Did a few trips to Germany this summer in a 172 rather than scheduled. Cost-wise it compared well (until BA reduced their European fares). As for time, I live 90 minutes from LHR so door to door was the same.

The benefits were mainly not having to experience an 8 hour delay at Frankfurt again (ATC computer meltdown). It was also very convenient being able to get around the country quickly for meetings, eg Dusseldorf-Frankfurt. Local ground transport can be an issue so it's a good idea to have a local contact to collect you.

VFR flying in Europe around FL90 is actually not a problem so long as you stay VFR, ie can see the ground through lower cloud. With a single-axis autopilot the flight is quite straightforward. ATC will route you via VORs so carry an IFR chart (and understand it!). I'm now doing my IR to make things easier, but it's all quite feasible without, given reasonable weather.

UK business flying also works well, although an IMC rating is really a pre-requisite IMO. From here (Wilts) it makes sense timewise when going to Kent, East Midlands, etc, especially if the client or colleague can meet you at the airport.

Graham

dirkdj
23rd Dec 2002, 10:00
Business or pleasure? Both!

Given an IR and a capable aircraft, business use of GA is certainly a very realistic proposition.

I have used GA aircraft for business since 1973 (high performance single and pressurized light twin). Certainly some days it is better to stay on the ground (same with airlines sometimes).

bobdee
23rd Dec 2002, 17:22
Does any one have any experience of claiming flying tuition as a business expense for tax purposes?

QNH 1013
23rd Dec 2002, 19:03
On a good year I manage about 10% of my flying for business in our group Jodel. However, I do have a plan B (and C). Plan B is to hire an airways-equiped a/c if the weather is too bad for VFR, and plan C is to drive / use scheduled service if icing, etc. is going to be a problem. (No de-ice equiped aircraft available for hire locally).

Sometimes, the trip is not date-critical, and I can therefore select a day with suitable weather for the Jodel.

I can thoroughly recommend flying yourself on business. The pleasure you get from claiming the vat back on the AVGAS and the landing fees is out of all proportion to the sums involved.