PDA

View Full Version : It's a load of lights!!!

Touch'n'oops
17th Dec 2002, 10:45
I have read and heard people say that strobe lights change rythums when changing from one movement to the next!

For intence: An aircrafts lighting rythum will change when it drops out of cruise into a decent.

What I am asking is. Is this true or just dribble?

I have tried to solve this one, but I can't successfully compare lights on a taking off 747, to one that's hard to see at FL380.:confused:

RadarContact
17th Dec 2002, 13:02
Never heard of it.

(doesn't mean anything, of course...)

gijoe
18th Dec 2002, 11:06
Most strobe lights will be controlled by a bunch of electronic bits strung together. There are either on or off - no inbetween. One way of doing it would be as follows:

1. Switch on strobes in cockpit.
2. Electric 'storage tank' in circuit fills up with electricity.
3. When full, electricity is passed to the strobe light which lights up, uses the electricity and then turns off when it has run out.
4. Process starts again.

( In reality it is a bit more complicated than this but I'm trying to get an idea over!)

The timing is generated by the strengths of some of the components in the electronic circuitry....so I think that there is no measure of time.

G

Flight Detent
18th Dec 2002, 18:00
Hi all,

I agree GiJo, constant power supply, constant rate of flash, that's excluding any slight malf. within the unit.

Cheers

Royston Vasey
18th Dec 2002, 18:08
Touch'n'oops,

I am astounded how poor your spelling is!

Good job the tests were done using multiple choice.

Touch'n'oops
28th Dec 2002, 12:39
Why don't you just shut up like the rest of the idiots who comment on spelling!

This forum is not about how well someone can spell! If you haven't noticed it's to discussion!

So if you can't stand my spelling, just stay in your hole then!!!!

JJflyer
28th Dec 2002, 20:18
Ever occurred to you that there are quite a few of us around that do not speak english as their native language (Such as my self).

hptaccv
29th Dec 2002, 20:20
strobes on, strobes off, no in betweeen, no dependency on config.

maninblack
30th Dec 2002, 09:38
Some strobe systems do have switchable flash rates, but these are generally set via a switch inside the control box which is sealed before installation.

There are some systems in existence for military aircraft, where there are certain agreed flash patterns to be used on certain tasks....a sort of modern version of the old "colours of the day" flare and D Day stripes. If you don't flash the right pattern then you get a fat one up your tail pipe.