PDA

View Full Version : 20,000 hrs - how to get a PPL??

fatboy slim
17th Dec 2002, 09:32
Licencing question - my old Dad has just retired from airline flying at age 60, having never not flown a light single for 25 odd years.

He now wants to fly on a PPL - SE piston in his mate's homebuild. What does he have to do to be legal?? Can he fly in IMC in it??

He has current Class 1 medical, over 20,000 hrs, and a UK ATPL/IR (expired due to his age) but has never held a PPL.

Will he have to go and do the 40 hour course ( straight and level 2 anyone??) or can he just jump in and fly it after a check trip??

Thanks in advance.

If this should be in GA please feel free to move it...

kwaiyai
17th Dec 2002, 11:51
Hi,
I recently had a guy come to me in similar circumstances. The only difference was he had at one time a PPL. he visited FCL at gatwick who asked him to complete some revisionary training at discretion of Flight instructor and to undertake a Licensing skill test for Single engine piston land Aircraft. Problem here is Your Dad's licence has expired so no licence to add the rating too. Either way your best bet is contact CAA FCL and get an assesment letter from them and take it from there.
Regards.

Mark 1
17th Dec 2002, 12:17
I'm fairly sure that if its a UK ATPL then the PPL priveleges will be non-expiring. As the medical is valid (1 year for class 2 privileges) it is then only a matter of getting a SEP (land) class rating by passing a test with an FE or CRE.

Unfortunately no homebuilt aircraft in the UK are authorised for night or IMC so he would be limited by permit to fly limitations rather than his license privileges. He could however exercise IMC privileges in a suitable CofA aeroplane.

fatboy slim
17th Dec 2002, 12:37
Thank-you both very much. I shall pass on all the news.