PDA

View Full Version : Differences Training

Unscheduled stopover
15th Dec 2002, 15:53
G.I.D. No 33 states that differences training is required to fly aircraft with V.P. prop and/or retractable gear but it does,nt say how much training is required. At a guess I would say that it is down to C.F.I.s discretion. If this is the case can C.F.I. allow any unrestricted F.I. to make this decision on his/her behalf. I would appreciate if anyone could clarify this point for me.

BEagle
15th Dec 2002, 17:24
Sufficient training for you to be happy to send the piot solo on the type of aeroplane for which the differences training has been given, I would say.

The amount of such training is not specified and will vary hugely. If you fly a PA28 and want PA28R differences training - not much. But if you want a check out on a Rockwell Commander, then probably rather more so.

There is no regulatory requirement for difference training to be monitored by a CFI or HofT; however, it would be more sensible for a FI or FI(R) with a reasonable level of experience on the ac variant for which difference training is being sought actually to conduct it. It will also need to be signed off in the recipient's Personal Flying Logbook.

StrateandLevel
16th Dec 2002, 22:08
Any FI or FI(R) may conduct differences training if they are qualified for the difference themselves. An FI(R) would of course be supervised by another FI.

By signing your logbook to say that you have completed the training, they are in effect placing their neck on the line, so it is in their interest to ensure that you are competent.

JAR-FCL assumes that FIs are professional people who do their job properly, it should not be necessary to tell them how to do it!