PDA

View Full Version : Wake Turbulence Separation

PC7anyone?
14th Dec 2002, 10:24
I work out of a BIA a very large but quiet airport. I operate the PC7 mixing it with the scheduled arrivals and departures. Should I be given wake turbulence separation by the controllers as a matter of course.....because I don't. Luckily it isn't difficult to start the stopwatch after an arrival but I wondered if the local controllers were being lazy !!!

Ichabod
14th Dec 2002, 11:04
I work at one of the London Airports but the rules regarding vortex wake are the same throughout the UK. If you are operating IFR then the controller MUST provide you with the appropriate seperation. However, if you are VFR they can simply say "caution vortex, recommended spacing is ??? miles", in which case it is up to you to provide yourself with adequate seperation. Hope this helps. :D :D

Evil J
14th Dec 2002, 15:43
The way you pharse the question by referning to "starting a stopwatch after an arrival" makes me think you are departing behind an arrival. THERE IS NO VORTEX REQUIREMENT BETWEEN ARRIVING AND DEPARTING AIRCRAFT(from the same runway) unless the flight paths may cross.

Quite a few pilots don't seem to realise this.

Duke of Burgundy
14th Dec 2002, 15:58
In the UK, if you are operating IFR but under one of the permitted reduced separations in the vicinity of aerodromes (basically visual separation) then the controller is required only to inform the pilot of the recommended vortex wake spacing.

PC7anyone?
14th Dec 2002, 22:41
Evil J
I'm usually VFR in the cct trying trying to fit in around departures and arrivals. At the moment I get no caution calls at all so operate my own separation of 3 mins (light after heavy). BIA is in Brunei operating to ICAO so would the rules be the same ?

Evil J
15th Dec 2002, 21:19
Sorry, BIA to me is Bournemouth (south coast of UK) so I am talking about UK standards. In the UK if you were no. 2 to a heavy (for example) you would get something like " report final no. 2 caution vortex wake the recommended spacing is 8 miles", If you were departing behind a heavy from the same point on the runway you would get 2 mins sep., If you touch and go(or depart from an intermediate point on the runway) behind a heavy departure you should get 3 mins, But like I said earlier landind behind a heavy departure or departing behind a heavy arrival there is no sep. requirement.

Afraid I can't vouch for ICAO!!

Point Seven
16th Dec 2002, 13:21
PC7 anyone?

I believe that ICAO rules state that you do not have to provide a "caution vortex..." to VFR traffic but in fact merely say "NO 2 follow the.... caution turbulent wake" or something of this ilk.

Does this sound familiar?:confused:

Dances with Boffins
17th Dec 2002, 12:16
Pilatus PC7 = Think Tucano without the performance.

The ICAO phraseology is "Caution Wake Turbulence" tagged onto the end of the "Number 2, follow...." bit to VFR traffic. As the PC7 is a military trainer, do you have military controllers in Brunei. Our military controllers at aerodromes never used to pass vortex spacing back when I was a driver.

Llamapoo
18th Dec 2002, 14:49
Santaeval (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=75625)

So what separation is applied in this case?!:p

PC7anyone?
20th Dec 2002, 09:50
DWB
No military controllers, just civvy ones who don't understand VFR vs IFR very well or cct traffic. But thats not there job really, doesn't stop it being frustrating though !