PDA

View Full Version : Costs of Diversions

FlyingIrishman
13th Dec 2002, 20:21
I was wondering about this the other day:
If an aircraft is diverted to land at a different airport, are the landing fees payable to the intended airport of landing or the airport where the aeroplane actually landed?

If a flight to Bristol is diverted to Cardiff for example, are the landing charges paid to BRS or CWL?

Thanks if anyone can help out here.

BlueEagle
13th Dec 2002, 21:36
I believe the fees would be payable at the actual landing field.

It used to be said in the charter world that if an aircraft had to divert and that meant a new crew/hotac/coaches for pax to continue etc./loss of aircraft schedule etc. etc. it cost the revenue of the next six flights! Not sure how true that would be today but I don't think the profit margins are very much bigger than in the '80's.

Spitoon
14th Dec 2002, 18:13
It cost more than you might think at first glance. At many airports that are still growing (rather that at maximum capacity much of the time) the airport owner will often offer discounts on landing fees and, maybe other services, to new airlines as an inducement to establish routes from the airport. If an aircraft diverts to another airport the operator will usually have to pay the standard rates for landing.

Certainly in the UK the fees are paid to the airport the aircraft lands at.

Hooligan Bill
15th Dec 2002, 15:11
While the fee is payable at the airport of landing, many Airport Operators offer discounted landing fees to diversion, the size of the rebate being published in their scale of charges. Additionally some airports will do individual deals with airlines to 'encourage' them to use them as their preferred diversion.

Terrain Ahead!
16th Dec 2002, 11:17
Just to add to the confusion, if you have made an approach to your destination before you divert, you'll owe them approach fees.