PDA

View Full Version : Night qualification

northern flyer
13th Dec 2002, 09:42
With winter now here I thought it may be a good time to gain my night qualification. I currently have a UK PPL (issued in 1997). Are the training requirements for UK PPL holders the same as for JAA PPL holders?
Also, what are the minimum weather requirements for night flying here in the UK? (e.g. ceiling, visibility etc)
I understand that VFR is not permitted at night, does this mean that you need an IFR equipped aircraft for night flying? This may be a problem for me.:rolleyes:

Mark 1
13th Dec 2002, 12:26
You are correct in assuming that the requirements are the same for a UK PPL. The old UK night rating no longer exists, but the requirements of a JAR night qualification are almost identical.

The equipment requirements are not onerous as you will be flying on a special VFR if you go into controlled airspace. Mostly down to having nav lights and spare fuses for the electrics - see ANO schedule 4 for the details.

Minimum requirements will be as for your PPL priveleges although for cross country the forecast ceiling will need to be above MSA unless you have an IMC rating.

northern flyer
16th Dec 2002, 11:48
Thanks. Is the ANO available online?

Mark 1
16th Dec 2002, 12:28
http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si2000/20001562.htm

northern flyer
16th Dec 2002, 13:12
That's good thanks. Re. the MSA, do you know what distance you must fly from an airfield for the flight to be classed as a cross-country flight at night? (Therefore requiring a cloudbase above the MSA)

Mark 1
16th Dec 2002, 15:54
MSA is decided by Rule 29 (i.e. 1000' above the highest obstacle within 5 nm). You are exempted from it if you are below 3000' clear of cloud and in sight of the surface or following an approach procedure.

I think that its more a question of good airmanship to adopt it as a x-country minimum. I can't recall if the JARs specify a minimum cross-country, but your training facility will probably ecpect something sensible for that part of the training.

FormationFlyer
16th Dec 2002, 16:22
For the purpose of the night qualification im fairly sure the CAA consider the distance to be a minimum of 3nm away from the airfield.

And remember folks it must be flown in accordance with IFR - which includes an exemption on safety alt providing you are within sight of the surface & clear of cloud - rule 29.

Hope this helps,
FF

northern flyer
17th Dec 2002, 08:38
Apart form the minumum hight rule (29), if flying at night in VMC while only holding a night qualification (no IMC rating or IR), could ATC ask you to follow any other rules associated with instrument flying or IFR?
Is a flight plan required for flight at night so, among other things, the controllers would know you are only 'VFR' qualified?
I agree that it would be wise to stick to an MSA. Is it not difficult to keep 'in sight of the surface' at night while flying over sparsely populated areas?

Mark 1
17th Dec 2002, 12:28
A controller won't know your license privileges, so you must always tell them if they issue an instruction which you cannot legally comply with. They will usually give you an alternative, but it may mean holding, re-routing or de-gradation of service (RAS to RIS or FIS).

If you are above 3000' then quadrantal flying is compulsory at night outside of controlled airspace, so you will need to make sure that the weather is suitable for your license priveleges.

Even in the darkest areas its fairly obvious if you have gone into cloud, but I'd question the wisdom of flying night and single engine in remote areas.