PDA

View Full Version : Headsets - PNR, ANR

A Very Civil Pilot
11th Dec 2002, 14:55
Can anyone enlighten me on the benefits and differences of Passive and Active noise Reducing headsets (and possbibliy give a reccomendation or two)?

BRL
11th Dec 2002, 15:42
Hi. Have a look at the private flying forum. There are a load of threads regarding the info you need in there. Better still, post this in there instead.
A search for Headphones comes up with a few good threads.

Jetstream Rider
11th Dec 2002, 22:54
I have a Pilot Communications 17-71 and it is great. Fairly cheap too. The turboprop I fly is quite noisy and with the ANR working it is much more comfortable. Battery lasts about 6-8 days flying and it uses 9V rectangular ones. It is also very light, with the batteryin a separate box.

Whichever you get make sure it has good passive as well as active as when the battery goes you still need to be able to hear! You can add together the active and passive, so if you get a good ANR headset with poor passive, it will not be as good as one that has good noise attenuation with both. I highly reccomend ANR.

WX Man
13th Dec 2002, 09:53
Last summer I flew a lot (and I mean a LOT!) in various noisy light a/c. I started off the season with a Pilot PA11-26 fitted with Oregon Aero ear seals. Then about half way through I got myself a new toy- the Pilot PA17-79 ANR headset.

My 2p worth:

The 11-26 with the ear seals felt like a proper headset, very comfortable and has a nice metal headband. Fully flexible mic on a gooseneck thing (very nice feature). Cuts out quite a lot of noise, thanks to the absolutely outstanding Oregon Aero seals (I got the headband strap as well: recommended).

The 17-79 cuts out more noise with the ANR turned on. BUT (and this a huge 'but', counting in a fairly big way against the 17-79), the headband is plastic, and the way that it holds the speakers against your ears lets a lot more noise in (even after fitting with Oregon seals, and a lot of precise adjusting). The other really, really, *really*, really annoying thing is the coiled cord. AAARGH!!!! Why do people feel the need to put coils in cords?

For comfort, the 11-26 wins hands down. But for noise reduction the 17-79 is better. However the ideal combination would be the 11-26 for build quality and design, and the 17-79's ANR circuitry. If anyone finds one out there like that, I will happily swap my new car for one!

eyeinthesky
13th Dec 2002, 12:30
I recently upgraded by DC13.4 to ANR by the use of a DIY kit from Adams Aviation (£140). I wouldn't fly without it now! Excellent at reducing fatigue and also in making you feel less busy on departure/arrival as you are not having to contend with all the extraneous background noise. ATC are crystal clear and you can have the radio volume set lower.

The benefit of adapting the DC is you still get good passive protection when the battery runs out. Mine lasts for maybe 12-15 hours of flying.

If you can afford it, go for ANR if you are planning on doing a lot of flying.