PDA

View Full Version : ATCO application

AP
10th Dec 2002, 09:12
Im wondering if anyone can help, im going to apply for trainee ATC but have a bit of difficulty in answering one of the questions.
It is
" What prompted you to apply for this post"?
Can anybody help me answer this, is NATS looking for a well structured answer?

Also can your referee be anyone that knows you or does it have to be people in a specific profession etc?

Thanks

Dances with Boffins
10th Dec 2002, 11:17
As you will no doubt find by reading many of the strings in this forum, there are probably many ATCOs currently employed by NATS who might find it difficult to think of an answer to your first question. :rolleyes:
The company, like any potential employer, is looking for an answer that shows that you aren't applying because "There was nothing good on the telly," or "A bloke at the pub thought it would be fun." Rather they are looking to invest many thousands of pounds training someone who has researched what the job entails, and has arrived at the desicion to apply based on sound thought processes. If you can't come up with a structured answer, I'd ask myself, were I you, if I had the commitment to go through one of the toughest courses outside the military.
The answer to the second question is that your referees should be people in positions of responsibility, who know you; Teachers, Mentors, Doctors, Magistrates, Business contacts, professionals etc. An ATCO would be just fine.
Pimps, madams and fellow gang-members are not usually considered reliable.

AlanM
10th Dec 2002, 14:15
You could always put:

I want to earn lots of cash, be surrounded by stunning chicks and have loads of time off!!

....after all, everyone lies on their application form (except me!) :p :D

Seriously, only you can answer that. But it probably aint the job for someone if they don't enjoy it. There are less stressful ways of earning a crust.

Kirstey
10th Dec 2002, 16:05
Sorry to butt in and Hijack this briefly! but it seems like a good place to add my questions

The 18-30 age limit. Does this mean I can apply just before my 30th birthday or just before my 31st Birthday? and as for referees, naturally I don't want NATS chasing my boss up 9 months before I'm due to leave and start a course! Does your boss have to be a referee on the initial application!?

ta! sorry again for the butt in!

cb9002
12th Dec 2002, 17:25
Errm, I dunno about the chicks (how many are there in ATC?) but I told them I wanted the money and the time off - worked for me!

slink
22nd Dec 2002, 18:55
I've just been offered a place as a SATCO, and have been told by NATS that my current employer will not be contacted prior to me giving the OK. Seeing as I have been offered a Jan 2004 start date, this could be sometime away, so I assume they'll contact my other referee sooner, then get the employer reference closer to the time. If you're really concerned, phone NATS HR department, I found them really helpful. Oh, BTW, I am outside the age limit, but have a pilot's licence and an aircraft engineers licence, which was acceptable as a solid background in aviation.

Good luck,
Steve.