PDA

View Full Version : Landing Gear Usage

Olympic
10th Dec 2002, 02:34
It may sound very stupid. But I've always wondered the use of the landing gear... I've seen videos where pilots take it down at 2000 ft. AGL Others at 4000, some others they take it down with no flaps at all some with alot of flaps. After take off it's more simple when you get that possitive rate of climb. Now yes, all were in different aircraft, but they can be concidered heavys (a340,767.747). Any help folks would be greatly appriciated to solve my problem.. If I have posted this in a wrong forum I apologize.

Regards- Oal411 Heavy

Eckhard
10th Dec 2002, 08:17
I don't think there are any hard and fast rules Olympic, but in a 'heavy' it would make sense to select gear down by about 2000agl for the following reasons:

It helps to achieve a stabilised approach by 1000ft (a requirement in many airlines);

It enables the landing checklist to be read;

If you get a gear problem you have a bit of time to decide what you are going to do about it; and

It ensures that you won't get a gear warning (800ft RA in some types).

(I could add that any stowaways will be dropped well clear of the airport and thus avoid embarrassment but that would be in very bad taste!)

At Narita RWY34 you are supposed to have the gear down before crossing the coast (about 4000ft?) to prevent blocks of ice falling on local communities.

dolly737
10th Dec 2002, 09:58
Olympic,

let me add some items to Eckhards post.

On the 737, establishing final landing configuration under normal conditions is done in a well-defined sequence: Flaps 1, flaps 5, (flaps 10), GEAR DOWN flaps 15, ...flaps.....30/40 - so the point where to extend gear is coincidental with the decision to extend flaps beyond 10 (which varies due to ATC and/or descent requirements). The reason for this being a quite “annoying” aural warning if flaps are extended beyond 10 with the gear still up (airplane thinks: flaps? wanna land? then put your §$=&@!! gear down!!!).

Under exceptional and quite rare occasions the gear (without flaps) is (ab)used to increase drag and facilitate a steeper descent and/or quicker deceleration. Gear limit/extension speeds are normally higher than flap limits.

error_401
11th Dec 2002, 13:35
I've learnt it this way - and it makes sense.

SEP and MEP Aircraft as well as on the A320

Approach with Flaps 10 or max setting not being an approach setting. On intercept of 3 deg glideslope or visual descent - lower the gear then put flaps in approach or landing configuration.

Why?
1st It avoids nuisance warnings which some A/C have. The Pipers do. When putting flaps in an approach configuration with the gear up. A320 does too.

2nd It adds the drag needed for a steady descent with a reasonable power setting thus avoiding to get too fast when approaching with a low flap setting. Especially in A/C with a tendency to pick up speed when on the glide slope. At what altitude is of no importance since the begin of the final approach in descent is master. Use the gear to slow down also helps not to mess with pitch when using speed brakes.

3rd As stated before it gives you plenty of time to check proper operation.