PDA

View Full Version : Ann Welch OBE

Genghis the Engineer
6th Dec 2002, 13:11
I've just heard with great sadness that Ann Welch collapsed and died suddenly last night. She had been feeling unwell for a few days, but thankfully had not suffered any prolonged illness.

I'd had the privilege to know Ann for the last 5 years and I think it is fair to say that British light aviation owes her probably more than any other single individual. She was instrumental for much of the foundation of British gliding, international gliding competitions, and did a great deal to foster the safe and relatively unregulated introduction of hang-gliders and microlights in Britain. She had also been an ATA pilot during the war (having originally learned to fly at the age of 17 in 1934), when she delivered, amongst other things more than 110 Spitfires.

She also wrote a large number of books on (amongst other things) flying, safety, and sailing - all of which contain both enormous amounts of wisdom and considerable entertainment. A Fellow of the Royal Aeronautical Society she had chaired the Light Aviation Group Committee for many years until 2001, and had been the driving force behind several light aircraft design competitions sponsored by the society, of which she was a Fellow.

She was predeceased by her second husband a few years ago, Lorne Welch, who had been a WW2 fighter pilot, inmate of Colditz, stressman on the famous Colditz glider, and holder of several gliding records.

This is the end of a very happy era, and I shall sorely miss discussing many aviation topics with her. I know that she has recently been preparing a paper on the history of innovation in British light aviation, which I hope will be one of many fitting memorials to one of Britain's greatest aviators.

I will be receiving details of the funeral. If any other friends of hers would like to Email me, I'll forward them when somebody lets me know.

RIP.

http://www.avnet.co.uk/bmaa/couwelch.jpg

Shaggy Sheep Driver
6th Dec 2002, 13:23
I always enjoyed reading her pieces on gliding and other airsports. Time moves on - she will be sadly missed.

SSD

Aerohack
6th Dec 2002, 15:00
Sad news. A great lady, always unassuming. Her contribution to gliding, light aviation and air sports has been immense. It was indeed a privilege to have known her.

MLS-12D
6th Dec 2002, 16:20
Yep, a great lady indeed. Sorry to hear the news.

The story of her life and struggles is contained in her book "Happy to Fly" (John Murray, 1983), which I believe is now out of print but not that difficult to find secondhand. Worth reading!

John Farley
6th Dec 2002, 20:40
How very sad. Ann was a wonderful lady and one of the UK’s most talented and significant pilots in both war and peace.

I was lucky enough to be asked to visit her home on a several occasions to talk over projects she was working on. I always came away amazed at the depth and breadth of her knowledge and at the sheer common sense and understanding she brought to flying and the people involved with it. Despite being well into her eighties she remained as sharp as a tack.

One of my most treasured memories was that when we were talking about a BBC film on the career of Hanna Reich, I mentioned the opening shot that showed a young lady doing a primary glider launch in Germany before the war. When I said how frustrating I found it not being able to quite see whether she was wearing shorts or a miniskirt, Ann grinned from ear to ear and said “They were shorts, that was me!”

I am so glad that she went quickly.

BEagle
6th Dec 2002, 22:25
The sad loss of a true aviation icon. John Farley's eloquent prose neatly sums up her enthusiasm and love of aviation; even in her twilight years she had a dedication and practicality few can ever hope to match.

Farewell, Ann. You will be greatly missed.

Pirate
7th Dec 2002, 11:37
As one who worked closely with Ann for many years on the General Aviation Group of the Royal Institute of Navigation, I cannot better the sentiments expressed above. Ann's commitment to every aspect of recreatonal flying was absolute and her energy and clarity of mind an example to us all. The aviation world is an emptier place for her passing.

I understand there will be a private funeral soon and a memorial service in the new year.

poetpilot
7th Dec 2002, 17:39
I never had the pleasure or honour of meeting the lady, but I am still deeply saddened. She was one of the aviation "names" that I grew up with, and another character has now passed on into the sunset.

We have been so privileged to live our lives in this age of change, innovation and adventure. Sometimes it's easy to forget (amidst all the negatives of war, economics & politics) that the last few generations have been brightened by so many fine people, who nurtured and encouraged aviation from its early beginnings.

Happy Landings Anne

nonradio
9th Dec 2002, 08:07
Sad news, indeed - one of the very few genuinely inspirational folk....

criticalmass
10th Dec 2002, 04:26
We are all diminished by the loss of this truly great aviatrix.

James Gilbert
11th Dec 2002, 13:13
I'd like to hear if a memorial service is planned. I was publisher/editor of PILOT, for which she was a valued contributor---and friend.

James Gilbert

vintage ATCO
12th Dec 2002, 12:02
Obit in today's Times http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,60-510636,00.html (may need to register - it's free)

Genghis the Engineer
7th Jan 2003, 15:18
I've just heard that Ann's memorial service is to be held at Lasham airfield on Friday 7 March about midday. I've no more information than that at present but if I get any will post it.

G

:(

AerBabe
7th Jan 2003, 16:30
Thanks for that Genghis. I'm guessing Whirly and I might hear through the BWPA too, so one of us should get the info.

BRL
16th Jan 2003, 18:30
As soon as someone gets anymore info would you please post it here?. Many thanks.

Genghis the Engineer
17th Feb 2003, 14:06
Details of the memorial service are at http://www.lasham.org.uk/hidden/Memorial/memorial.html

I also understand that a memorial fund is to be set-up in Ann's name, details of which will be announced at the service but likely to be in the area of GA training.

G