PDA

View Full Version : Microlights and PPL logging hours

Winkiepinkie
6th Dec 2002, 08:12
Me again. Just a quickie.

If I were to get a microlight licence (on something like a 80hp Avid Flyer 912), do any of the hours flown as PIC count towards logging PPL time? And whilst on the subject, would I be able to skip any parts of the microlight course if I already hold a JAA PPL?

Thanks again for any replies.

Genghis the Engineer
6th Dec 2002, 09:06
(1) Microlight hours don't count towards PPL(SEP) currency, even apparently where the 90 day rule is concerned. Yes, this is absurd, but there you go.

(2) As a PPL(SEP) holder you don't need to do the whole NPPL(M), just enough training to keep a microlight instructor happy and pass the GFT (skills test in JAR speak). CAA used to then put a microlight rating on your JAR licensce but now will charge you £131 and give you an NPPL(M) instead.

- Currency rules are different for each. JAR(SEP) will be 12 hours including an hour with an instructor in the second of each 2-year cycle. NPPL(M) will be 5 hours every 13 months and an experience stamp in your logbook. 90 day rule is the same for each.

The microlight license Guru is Roy Hart for definitive answers at BMAA HQ, on 01869-338888.

G

StrateandLevel
6th Dec 2002, 14:51
A microlight aeroplane is an Aeroplane in law: ANO Schedule 2. If you have a SEP class rating it should cover ALL single engine piston aeroplanes. (It says it does!)

The CAA have invented a microlight Class rating without any form of industry consultation. There has been no regulatory impact assessment to support this heavy handed beaurocracy, and additional costs incurred because they want you to have two licences to fly what are legally aeroplanes in the same Class.

It is Regulation gone MAD!

Genghis the Engineer
6th Dec 2002, 15:35
We did used to see roughly one aeroplane per year destroyed by PPL(A)/CPL(A)/ATPL(A) holders declining conversion training. So, some form of mandatory conversion I think was necessary. But, treatment in the same manner as, say, a tailwheel or VP conversion would have been more appropriate than the current muddle.

Incidentally, a microlight PPL allows you to fly both 3-axis and flexwing, twins, variable pitch and (if any existed, which they don't in the UK) retracts without any additional training. Not very consistent is it !

G

Lemoncake
6th Dec 2002, 15:40
How about flying microlights on a Full FAA PPL....? Does this provide a loophole? I fear not. :(

Genghis the Engineer
7th Dec 2002, 20:25
I suspect not, one for Roy I think.

G

FormationFlyer
12th Dec 2002, 12:57
The PPL SEP does not allow flight in microlights....why? Quite simply because the microlight is NOT covered by the SEP class rating.

It USED to be covered by a group A rating (or the pure microlight only Group D rating), however when the change to JAR came this privilage was revoked - however, if you had a valid CoT on microlights then the CAA would issue a Microlight class rating as well.

Re: Count towards PPL time...eh? It *is* PPL time that must legally be logged - and therefore is all included as your TT as pilot of aeroplanes.

Now if the question was cross-crediting of flight time allowed for class rating revalidation - then thats a different matter.

I understand the NPPL allows cross-crediting, but current JAR based ratings do not.

Genghis: Are you sure? There always used to be a 5 hour cross conversion between one way and the other....(fixed/flex)...and anyway surely that is now enforceable under differences training rules....given that all microlight class ratings are covered by the same regulations are they not? Failing that can you point me towards the regs where the microlight stuff is written separately to the other JAR based framework - can seem to find it right now...

Cheers.
FF

Hope this helps,
Barry

Genghis the Engineer
12th Dec 2002, 14:52
I'm sure it's not legally binding, but equally sure it's a very very good idea to get the conversion training. There's never been a minimum hours, but again, I'd be amazed by anybody going either way within 5 hours. CAP53 which is in LASORS I think is the current definitive document. The crossover is called the ACST, or "Alternative Control Systems Test".

Whilst the ACST is mentioned in there, there isn't any mention at-all of differences training for VP prop, twins or nosewheel.v.tailwheel, all of which exist within the UK microlight fleet.

G