PDA

View Full Version : Fanwing - you'll believe a lawnmower can fly!

moggie
3rd Dec 2002, 22:01
I just saw this on the world service news - it looks amazing and theroetically could make the helicopter obsolete!

www.fanwing.com

Lu Zuckerman
4th Dec 2002, 02:34
I don’t know what the rotational velocity of the fan is but because of it’s mass it must have some gyroscopic tendencies. What happens if the aircraft banks left? Does the nose tuck down or conversely if it banks right does the nose move upward?

:confused:

Desert Dingo
4th Dec 2002, 04:11
My understanding of precession is that the applied force appears to get transfered 90 degrees around in the direction of rotation. I reckon applying left bank will produce adverse yaw to the right. However, applying left rudder (yaw) should produce a nice left bank. :)
But then they talk about turning by varying the lift on each wing. :(
I guess that's why I'm not an aerodynam.... airodie... airplane designer :D

Notso Fantastic
4th Dec 2002, 09:26
Is this just a bunch of degree students working on their dissertations? If so, it is just an idea they follow through- doesn't need any logic behind it. It's as practical as butter wings. Serious problems with
Weight
Rotational mechanism
G loading
Noise

Another idea never to be heard of again!

stagger
4th Dec 2002, 10:00
Another idea never to be heard of again!

Well it looks like it's more than just an idea at this stage - have you watched the video clips of the model flying???

The African Dude
4th Dec 2002, 11:07
that sucks - I had a similar idea for my final year project :(

what to do now.... (abuse welcome!:D)

Andy

Mr. TCU
9th Dec 2002, 22:25
It does look like a good idea. One concern that I have just looking at it is what happens when you have an engine failure? Can it glide effectively without making a smoking hole in the ground?

Neat idea, but I somehow doubt we'll see it flying us around anytime soon.

cwatters
10th Dec 2002, 18:42
The ideas been around for at least 10 years or more. I recall seeing articles in the model aircraft mags at least that far back.

Main problem is the high mass of the rotating bits at full scale.

I can't recall if it glides any better than a helicopter following an engine failure but I suspect not.

I can't imagine that its a fuel efficient concept.

Lu Zuckerman
11th Dec 2002, 00:00
Check this out:

http://www.pub.nxs.net/dehunt/images/gasmower1.jpg

:cool:

Notso Fantastic
12th Dec 2002, 16:11
Stagger, come on now, be serious! Can you see this thing flying ? What about engine failure/gearbox failure- does it fall out of the sky? Noise? Gyroscopic tendencies- that wing looks weighty. Give them their degrees and consign the design to the book already called 'Good ideas may be useful one day'. The Sonic Cruiser is already page 1!