PDA

View Full Version : routings - london gatwick to calgary

vfr-uk
2nd Dec 2002, 16:55
Apologies for a mail of this nature...

I'm studying for my PPL (hence why I'm asking this question on this site), but know little about upper airspace, airways and routings etc.

I'm flying to Calgary on a charter Monarch flight from Gatwick (Airbus A330), and was wondering if there is any way you can find out the routing the flight will take? Are there pre-set routes that it would have to follow, or does it depend on weather etc?

I was wondering if there is a website where you can check out that kind of thing. I guess what I'd really like to find is a map like you woluld get on the inflight systems.

I'm always fascinated to know what I'll be flying over (although obviously in this case it's a lot of water!)

Thanks

Notso Fantastic
2nd Dec 2002, 18:43
Not so much water! Probably out over the Hebrides, very close or over Iceland, spectacular crossing of east coast of Greenland, flying west over southern Greenland, Baffin Island, those mysterious islands of Northern Canada (and very spectacular too), southwestwards over Provinces. Almost all the views will be obliterated by screens down/ movies running /abuse if you look out! ETOPS may restrict routings, but I believe in four engines!

Send me a private email and I'll see if I can dig out a North Atlantic Route chart for you.

vfr-uk
2nd Dec 2002, 22:43
(private messaging down...)
thanks for the reply...

it's funny how interested you become in commercial flights once you start to fly (I've only got about 30 hours). I've always been interested in aircraft (not obsessively!) but once you get behind the controls you start thinking about winds, and distances and fuel..!

I'd be interested to see the route map if you have one.

Do you fly?

Cheers

Steve

longarm
4th Dec 2002, 10:09
Normal routing (changes very little) is up towards Manchester over the western Isles, south of Iceland across Greenland normally at around 62N or 63 N, then over Baffin Island, Northern Hudson Bay crossing coast at Churchill. From here across Manitoba and Saskatchewan in a straight line towards Calgary. Return route is usually very similar. Have a good time.

The African Dude
4th Dec 2002, 10:47
Is it roughly the same for YYZ?

I was pax that way last year and the capt mentioned something about Iceland...
Seemed like a long-winded way of crossing the pond to me at time, but I'm guessing it's all to do with having a safe landing point??

Best wishes.

Andy.

PCav8or
5th Dec 2002, 04:02
sstreet

Check this URL for North Atlantic Tracks

http://www.natroutes.glideslope.de/

You should find what you want.........

Localiser Green
5th Dec 2002, 15:59
"I was pax that way last year and the capt mentioned something about Iceland...
Seemed like a long-winded way of crossing the pond to me at time, but I'm guessing it's all to do with having a safe landing point?? "

Andy,

Actually it's more to do with the best wind. Or more correctly avoiding the worst wind (on a westerly flight).

Whilst the ground distance may be further going that way, avoiding a stong westerly jetstream for 1,000+ miles means the air distance is probably less.

And less air distance = less flight time = less fuel... etc.

longarm
5th Dec 2002, 20:33
African Dude,

If you put a piece of string on a globe you'll also see that its almost a straight line. Looking at an atlas it looks like a big arc but of course the world isn't flat !

chiglet
5th Dec 2002, 22:23
ERrrmmm
Sorreee, BUT
Does it not depend on the Wind? [Braincell's gone on strike]
IF a LOW in the N. Atlantic, one would go South about...via the Azores. Conversly, if a HIGH, one would go North about..via Greenland :confused:
or am I talking "Baldocks?"
we aim to please, it keeps the cleaners happy

Georgeablelovehowindia
5th Dec 2002, 23:43
As stated by longarm, the route to destinations in the NW USA/Canada seem to vary less than those to destinations further South. The reason seems to be that the upper winds at the higher latitudes don't have such strong Westerly components. You may cross two or three jetstreams, but they tend to be Northerly or Southerly. The route therefore is usually pretty close to the Great Circle.

One of the biggest expanses of water on the route is the frozen Hudson Bay.

A jolly little distraction, droning for endless hours over the vast empty nothingness of Northern Canada, is watching the fuel tank temperature dropping towards the quoted freezing temp. of Jet-A1.

The African Dude
6th Dec 2002, 12:43
Loc & longarm

*slaps forehead*
Thanks!! :D i will get there eventually :)

Andy